Sunday, May 31, 2015

Painted Shut

Here is a warning to you. If you dare to paint the upper sash of your windows closed, each and every owner of the house that follows you will curse your name. Probably multiple times. And the owner that finally decides to get that sash open again, will curse you double.

I was that double cursing owner.  I long ago stripped and refinished the bottom sash in my bathroom window.  The upper sash was firmly painted closed, so I put off dealing with it for years.  Well, this was the weekend where I decided that that sash would open. My bathroom does not have a fan, so air flow is pretty important.

I ask you.....who doesn't want their top sash to open?  This baffles me.

It took me a couple of hours of work to finally get the sash to pull down (a pox on the owner that painted it shut). Sadly, this is a common situation and they even make a special tool for it.

I was a tiny but surprised to see that the top edge is bare wood.  I've had a vague suspicion that some of the sashes in my house are replacements.  Either that or this sash has been painted shut longer than I suspected.

Anywho. It's open now.




5 comments:

Alex Dent said...

The reason you can see bare wood after getting the top sash unstuck is because it hasn't been painted and it shouldn't be. Everybody paints the window tracks but you're not supposed to, you're supposed to leave them unfished so the sash slide easier.

StuccoHouse said...

Hi Alex - I agree the channels should not be painted. The channel for my top sash has not been painted and the channel for the bottom sash has only been partially painted with a sloppy thing coat of paint which shouldn't be too bad to get off. I usually then put a coat of wax on the bare channel so the sash moves easily up & down.

However, the part I'm talking about is the top inside face of the actual sash. That should have been painted and for some reason is not.

Alex Dent said...

Now that I looked at it again I see what you mean about being unpainted, it doesn't surprise me that people would paint a window without raising/lowering the sashes to get all surfaces, I am surprise though that it was done like that since day one.

StuccoHouse said...

It is weird, isn't it? I can't figure that one out.

Your first comment reminded me of my upstairs windows. The channel up there was painted, so I spent a fair amount of time stripping it on two windows. When I had the trim on my house painted last year, the guys painting the outside trim of those windows saw the unpainted channels and painted them :) They didn't know and I didn
t specify. At least it is only on the bottom half....and a pretty thin coat of paint. When I get time, I'll most likely re-strip them.

yoram said...

awhile back ou wrote about your old gravity heater.
any source for replacement parts?
thanks
yoram
star1441@aol.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin