Saturday, December 20, 2014

Warped

I've been slowly plugging away at restoring my upstairs double hung window sashes. The bottom sash has been moving along steadily it has been stripped, treated with borate, primed and partially painted. 

The top sash has been stripped, but I ran into a bit of an issue. The top rail of the top sash was very warped. For whatever reason, the top rail had warped up leaving a significant gap between the rail and one of the muntin.  There was approximately a 3/4" gap. The rail was, however, solidly attached to both side stiles. I can't quite figure out what caused it, but it doesn't appear as if that window ever had a sash lock on it that would have held the two sashes solidly in place.

I was thinking that I needed to apply pressure to the rail to see if I could train the wood back into place.  I treated the frame with borate and then tried to use a couple of bungee cords to pull the rail back into place.

The bungee cords didn't apply enough pressure, so I was left to find another route. I was thinking about it one day and all of a sudden I had an idea. I have a set to trailer straps for a motorcycle or ATV...and they have a ratcheting mechanism. That would work, right?!

So, I hunted down the straps and wrapped one around the window and used the ratchet to pull the wood together. It worked.

The sash has been sitting in my basement like this for a few weeks.  (There was a Christmas cookie making break in there).  It seems as if I will have to leave the sash under pressure for a while, but I'm not sure how long.  I suppose I could really leave it there until Spring. The 3M plastic that is currently covering the window is working fine.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So. . . did it work? I have the same issue, on a window on my porch.

StuccoHouse said...

It did. I left it like that until Spring. Now it is straight and looks like it will stay that way.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin