Sunday, October 19, 2014

Silence!

I'm a city girl. I'm accustomed to falling asleep to the sound of cars driving by with stereos blasting, people talking, wind blowing, planes flying overhead (damn you MSP) and the occasional siren in the distance.

So, I found myself a bit surprised at just how much my new storm windows deaden the noise.

For the past couple of weeks now, I have laid awake in bed at night listening to the sound of my heart beat. And nothing else.

It has taken some getting used to. On the third night of new storms, I actually had to get up and turn on my air purifier just to get some noise to fall asleep to. I've also been having super vivid dreams.

I'm slowly getting used to it and have started to limit my use of the air purifier. It's crazy how one small change can have such an effect.

Let's hope those same qualities that are stopping the noise, will also have a huge impact on my heating bill. I suspect they will.

2 comments:

Bluezette said...

I had the same experience when we restored and weatherstripped the windows in our bedroom. At that point we still had the lousy aluminum triple tracks, but tightening up the sash with the addition of spring bronze made a huge difference. I stopped waking up every morning at 3:30 when the newspaper delivery guy drove by.

Last year we added wood storms with removable upper and lower glass/screen inserts. This summer it was a joy to take full advantage of our double hung windows, which we couldn't do with the triple tracks.

StuccoHouse said...

Bluezette - I kept thinking of the Edgar Allan Poe story "The Tell-Tale Heart." I can't wait to have the second sash from upstairs all stripped, repainted and running on spring bronze. Then I'm sure it will be absolutely silent upstairs!

I can't wait to have full screen on the two end windows. I was amazed at how much more air flowed when I changed to full screens just on my three dormer windows.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin