Saturday, September 20, 2014

Up High

If you have been following my blog for a while, you know that I have been slowly pulling down the existing aluminum storm windows and replacing them with vintage or vintage-style wood frame storms. Some of them I switch out with screens seasonally. In some windows, like the front of my house, I currently leave the glass storms in all season. 

In prepping for my house to be painted, I had to address two upstairs windows. Each had their lovely aluminum storms windows. I have totally refinished the double hung window sashes on one of those windows and one has yet to be restored.

It was clear the aluminum storms needed to come down as they were nailed to the face of the exterior wood window trim. So, happily down they came. You could almost hear the house breath another sigh of relief.

I have a fun solution for the missing storms. I'm going to pick them up this afternoon and will post again soon.

Lovely, isn't it?

Removing the aluminum storm and some remaining hardware that points to the fact that there probably were canvas awning on the house at one time. Food for thought.

Here is the south window. The double hung sash on the window has been restored. After removing the storm, I had to prop a screen in the open window for fear of a bird flying in the house.








No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin