Monday, September 29, 2014

A Tear Down

I'm sitting here feeling nauseous.

I was going to write a whole other post on a whole other topic today.

A cute little bungalow down the block sold last month. This house is circa 1920.

Towards the end of last week I noticed that the utilities had been marked on the street. Today I came home to a bulldozer parked in front of it.

Unless I am totally misreading the clues, I believe a developer bought the house and is about to tear it down and build a fake "craftsman" McMansion in it's place.

I'm literally sick to my stomach and my head is pounding.

It has recently become the trend in Minneapolis. A developer, without regard to the neighborhood, will come in and buy up a smaller house, tear it down, slap up a big replacement, sell it, take their money and leave. My neighborhood had been pretty much left alone because the houses and lots are relatively small and the neighborhood is "up and coming."  These big houses just look obnoxious. They totally change the character of an entire block and, for that matter, the city.

However, developers wanting to make a fast buck must be running out of new lots and have moved like predators into my little part of town. As a neighboring homeowner you are helpless as they can change the entire value and livability of your house and ruin the character of a neighborhood.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why these dopes don't buy lots on North Minneapolis that are empty or houses that were damaged beyond repair during the tornadoes of 2011. Those neighborhoods could use their help.

Seriously. Who comes into a vintage neighborhood and buys this shit?

I need to make up yard signs that say "Developers: We Don't Want Your Tear Downs."




3 comments:

Barbara said...

I feel your pain. One town here in NJ has pretty much had everything torn down to make way for two-family McMansions that take up the entire lot. Not only have we lost beautiful houses, but trees and gardens as well.
It would be so nice if historical societies began to realize that, while products of famous architects and houses of famous people are certainly important, the houses of working/middle class people have value, too. Those houses, their materials and workmanship, can also never be replaced, just like "important" ones. They should be preserved for posterity.

spayurdog said...

Oh no!! What a shame--such a cute house :( It really is stomach turning, plus very frustrating and sad.

StuccoHouse said...

Barbara - Amen. Perfectly expressed.

Spay - The last owners did a lot of work on it and even more before they sold it. I think it is a cute little house (aside from the front door, of which I'm not a big fan). This city blathers on all of the time about "affordable housing" but doesn't bat an eye when these smaller houses are torn down.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin