Sunday, August 17, 2014

Hardware Boil

Til the day I die, I will never understand why people paint over hardware. How hard is it to just remove the hardware, paint your window and then replace the hardware? Not hard at all.

That said, almost every piece of window hardware in my house was painted. I had been removing the paint as I restored each window.  But a few weeks ago I got all ambitious and had a great hardware boil. I boil the hardware in water and baking soda in an old pot. I fish out the hardware while it is still hot and finish peeling off the hot paint. The water breaks the seal between the paint and the hardware. I polish the metal with steel wool and then apply a coating of oil.

So, with the exception of one casement window hinge, all of the window hardware in my house is now paint free.  I replaced the hardware on the unrestored windows, and once I get to that window at least the hardware will be done.

When I finish stripping the windows and repainting it, the hardware looks very crisp against the new paint.









4 comments:

Kate H. said...

Was thinking about you and this technique earlier today. I was using it to get the cooked-on oil off my stovetop deep-frying saucepan. But I forgot the part about removing it while hot. Better try again to get the residue.

StuccoHouse said...

Kate - Never thought of using this technique for other purposes. Getting the gunk off while it is hot is key. I once let the water cool down before removing the hardware and the paint just re-stuck itself back onto the hardware.

Lisa said...

What type of oil do you use after polishing with steel wool? I've read about raw and boiled linseed and walnut oils but I don't know which to choose. Thanks!

StuccoHouse said...

Lisa - I just use plain old "3-in-One" oil. boiled linseed oil is nice for wood, and may work on metal....but i just use the basic stuff.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin