Monday, April 14, 2014

It's a Forest Out There

I drove up my back alley this afternoon to drop off two bags of recycling that were in the back seat of my car (It's been a long, hard winter here in MN that has necessitated driving trash and recycling to my back alley bins). Anywho, I was hauling the bags to the recycling bin when I spotted a huge bird sitting on my fence. I've never seen such a large bird anywhere in my neighborhood.

I ran back to my car and got out my cell phone and took a photo.  I was a little scared of the thing, so I wasn't able to get close enough to take a really good picture. It took one look at me and immediately dismissed me as a threat and went back to pulling on the clematis vine in my fence.  Evidently it wasn't only me that found this bird scary. I watched a usually brazen squirrel slowly back away from the bird with its head and tail down.

I'm not exactly certain what is going on with this recent influx of wildlife into my city yard.

My bird knowledge is limited to identifying an eagle, a blue bird, a crow and possibly a cardinal. But, one of my tweeps suggested that it could be a peregrine falcon and provided this link which seems to support the possibility.

What do you think? Falcon?


4 comments:

Freda said...

It might be a Cooper's hawk, which are seen in suburban areas and are very common. It was likely gathering material for a nest.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/coopers_hawk/id

Alex Dent said...

I agree that it might be a Peregrine Falcon. A few months ago here in Michigan I watched one enjoy a lunch of it's prey in my backyard. Be glad that one was only interested in the Clematis.

StuccoHouse said...

I looked at the photos of the Cooper's Hawk and Peregrine Falcon and it really could be either one. I now wish I had been able to get a little closer. It may have had a tag on its leg. It did appear like it was gathering material for a nest - it was very interested in the dead vine wrapped around my fence.

StuccoHouse said...

Quick update on this one. It is now the end of July and I have two of the raptors living in my yard. They like to sit on my side fence. As an added bonus, my garden is doing really well this year because all small animals are afraid to enter my back yard.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin