Friday, April 04, 2014

A Warm Glow

Nothing too exciting in this post.  I've written about the doors in my hallway before. Every year about this time, I put another coat of tung oil finish (which is  bit of a misnomer because most of this finish these days is really wipe-on varnish with no tung oil in it at all, but I digress).  My goal is to slowly build up the finish on these doors to a nice, soft glow.

In past years, I had put a coat on both sides of the doors in the hallway except for two of the doors - one going downstairs and the other upstairs.  This year, I added the outside face of door going upstairs.

This means I spent time painstakingly scraping off paint drops and then filling in and light spots with a Sharpie.  I then put on one coat of the finish. Because the finish had almost totally worn off of these doors over the years, the first coat disappeared into the wood immediately.  It will take many more coats before I starts forming a surface layer.

You an now see the nice glow from the finish that is developing.

The color of the doors looks so much more rich now and the grain is really pretty. Who knew?

Here is the door that I focused on this year. You can tell there is almost no original finish left.

2 comments:

Cathy Selin said...

I am new to blogging. We live in a 1921 stucco bungalow in Saint Paul. I am trying to repair the spring mechanism on the bottom of the swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room. It would be a great help to me if someone has a door like this and if they would be willing to unscrew the 3 screws holding the cover on one side and take a picture of it. I have it apart and am not sure what is broken.

Thanks

StuccoHouse said...

Cathy - If you go to the "labels" section on the left hand side of this blog and click on "dining room" you will find a photo of my dining room swing door w/o it's plate.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin