Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Plan

If you have read my blog for a while, you know my dad is a retired structural engineer. He's been sucked into many a project at my house.  He has also listened to me over the years talk about how I would like to replace my existing garage. 

My garage is original to the house.While benign neglect worked for me in the case of my house, the garage did not fare as well. The interior concrete is entirely broken up and at some point someone hit one of the load bearing supports near the door.  So, the entire structure has a bit of a lean to it.  It is also quite small. So, small in fact that I don't park in it.  Ever.  It houses a lawn mower, a fertilizer spreader, a bunch of garden tools, shovels, lawn furniture and a motorcycle. That's about it.

So one day a couple of months ago, my dad surprised me with structural drawings for a new garage.  He drew up specs for both a generous single stall and a generous double stall garage. The exterior can be either wood clapboard or stucco.  All my choice.  Both drawings include a little built-in gardening bench in the back. Cute.

I now have the drawings. So when I get around to actually getting serious about the garage, I have a trusted design to use to get bids.


5 comments:

Kate H. said...

And it would go well with the house? And is all right with city setback regulations and all? Excellent!

(My neighbor in back of me across the alley just put up a VERY [ahem!] generous box of a two-stall garage. It's bigger than her house, the siding doesn't match, and it doesn't have a single window in it. It's the first thing that confronts me as I step off my back porch. It's hideous.)

StuccoHouse said...

Kate - Fortunately my lot easily would support a double stall garage. In fact, I'm one of the only people facing into my alley that has a single stall. Many of the original 1920's garages in my neighborhood were even double stall. My dad has historical preservation experience, so the garage design has all of the traditional bells and whistles - exposed rafter tails, clapboard or stucco :) The goal would to make people think the garage was original to the house...and fit my car.

Kate H. said...

Yay! Won't it be good actually to have a place to park your car under cover for a change, when the time comes and you can build it. :-D

I have a feeling the impetus for new the garage across the alley came from the owner's son, as she herself is quite elderly and not quite all there. Wouldn't be surprised if he rents one or both stalls out.

Ryan said...

Getting garage plans custom for your needs and to match the house? Awesome. I'm in the early planning stages for a new garage for our house. I really want it to look appropriate to the lot and not dominate the street with its door bays. My dad really wants to help build it, but suggested I find an architect to he'll with the plans instead of tweaking a standard plan to match the house.

StuccoHouse said...

Kate H - We have had a winter filled with snow emergencies and really cold weather. It has been a challenge to make sure that my car is parked on the correct side of the street for plowing...and hoping it starts in the cold. Right, now a garage is sounding nice.

Ryan - Yea, my dad's skills have helped me out more than once. I've spent a few years riding my bike around the neighborhood just looking at garages. Two architects live down the street from me and they built a great garage for their house. Lots of little things that make it very charming and you have to really pay attention to know it's not original.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin