Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Down the Hatch

I've mentioned my laundry chute in past posts, but I don't think  I've ever posted pictures.  It was an unexpected discovery we made when I first moved into the house. It is on the floor in the linen closet right outside of the bathroom. In fact, my mom who was helping me clean had to tell me what it was. 

I grew up in a house with a laundry chute, but it was on the wall in the bathroom and dropped down into the laundry room below. When I was about 5 or 6, I tried to talk one of my friends into sliding down it. 

About a year ago, I spent some time sanding down the wood walls of the chute itself and putting a finish on them. I still didn't put the chute into use and used the floor of the closet for storage instead.

This past summer I saw a piece of plywood in my basement and it struck me that it was about the size of the hole.  I had some free time, so I put a few coats of amber shellac on the board and installed a little knob handle.  Then I put the chute into use.  I love it.

I have a set of hinges for the door waiting to be installed.  For now, the little door just sits over the chute and that works fine. There also is the remnants of a hook and eye set on the shelf above the chute that would have held the little trap door open.  I may add a hook to the little door (using the vintage "eye")  to once again allow it to stay open.

In the basement there is a little trap door. Since I've added the little door above, I've started leaving the basement trap door open.  At one time it operated on a elaborate pulley and spring system, that looks like it opened and shut on the weight of clothes being sent down the chute. The remains of the system are still down there.....and at some point, I'll probably try to get that up-and-running again.

It's one of those little quirks that make living on an old house enjoyable.







2 comments:

Ryan said...

I have a laundry chute in the bathroom but it's in the most awkward location. The toilet is the far right corner of the bathroom, and the door to the laundry chute is next to the toilet. Perhaps the original toilet was much smaller and didn't intrude on the chute door so much in the past? I don't have a trap door on the basement side of the chute, but I've heard I should add one for safety in the event of a fire in the basement.

I'd like to use the laundry chute some day as currently my dirty clothes often end up on the floor right outside the bathroom door. I will definitely need some sort of bin below to catch everything. What do you have to catch clothes in the basement?

StuccoHouse said...

Ryan - I know my original toilet was a lot smaller than the one currently in my bathroom, so that is a possibility. The door in the basement is a safety feature, I only opened it up when I added the trap door upstairs. My intent is to get both working if only for weatherproofing (my basement is cold). My clothes also used to pile up outside my bathroom and that was my final motivation is putting the chute back into use. I bought a laundry cart off of Amazon....I'll put a picture and info. on a new post.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin