Sunday, August 11, 2013

How Much Do Strippers Make?

One day I decided I couldn't live one more minute in this house with the cracked, ugly Menards bathroom sink.  So, I took it down off of the wall and walked it right back to the alley behind my house (amazingly someone took it),

I then got a little curious about what was behind the drywall. Soon the drywall on one wall was entirely gone.

So, it seems, I started work on my bathroom.

This project has been slow going. Mostly because I can't decide how I want to go about it.

One thing was clear though.  All work hinged on me getting the salvaged medicine cabinet in my basement stripped and repainted.

Last week I decided to throw some money at the problem and make it go away.  So, I hauled that cabinet up from my basement and out to the back seat of my car. No small feat.  I then drove over to a small business that advertised paint stripping.  I had no real idea what they would charge to strip the cabinet.  The cabinet has a painted interior and the face of it is painted, but the back is not painted.  There really isn't all that much painted surface.  Before going into the shop, I set a limit of $150 in my head.

The estimate was over $240. Just. Couldn't. Do. It.  I realize strippers need to make a living too (who would have thought I would have ever typed that sentence in my blog), but that seemed quite high.  After all, I think I paid around $50 for the cabinet itself.

So I hauled that cabinet back out to my car and back home. And this weekend started work on stripping the cabinet myself.  It actually has gone very quickly.  After two days of very intermittent work (I put a layer of chemical on and go about doing my other business), I have it pretty much clean and ready for a last application of chemical with stainless steel.  I also still need to boil the paint off the hardware.

When all is said and done, I probably will have taken me a total of 5 hours of work.  There were three-ish layers of paint, one peach, one pink and the last off white. That was one well paid stripper in that shop, I'm thinking.


























The mirror set aside to be cleaned and reinstalled.

The hardware - little shelf clips and two hinges



3 comments:

Debbie said...

Stripping paint is so NOT fun. I just did it for 7 hours. I would much rather put my own sweat and labor into a project then forking out hundreds of dollars. (Or in my case, thousands...)
That cabinet is going to look amazing when it's done!

Ryan said...

I have the same issue with my bathroom cabinet. I found the original cabinet on the wall in the basement, but the trim was missing, it's just the box and the door.

It's also been sitting, half stripped, in the basement for 5 years...

I have to enlarge the wall opening again (it was made smaller for the late 50s update) I just need to buckle down and do it, someday.

StuccoHouse said...

Debbie - You are a saint for taking on stripping all of your interior wood. Whomever painted that should be shot. I actually shouldn't admit this, but I find stripping paint relaxing.

Ryan - You are lucky to have at least found it in your basement! Mine comes from the local salvage place after being yanked out of some other house. If it helps encourage you....stripping it has not been bad. Also, the trim on mine is just a simple 1x1. The wall opening in my bathroom currently is too big, so I'll have to make mine smaller. It's always something, huh?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin