Saturday, July 06, 2013

A Yellow Shade

Two weeks ago we had some pretty wild storms come through the Twin Cities. My block lost electricity for two days - which was a little annoying because the block across the street didn't even flicker.  After reaching my max of reading and taking bike rides, on the second day I decided I would take advantage of the lights out and change out my light upstairs.

I bought a lovely pjnk shaded light from a salvage a few years back.  However, there was an unfortunate incident with a falling iron that led to it's demise. I can't talk about it too much without crying.  However, I was able to locate a somewhat similar replacement with a yellow shade on sale at an antique store last year. I had it rewired and then this light has been in secure location since purchase.  I was not going to suffer a second loss.

I had planned on stripping off the old paint on the base before installing it.  But, I figured I'd get it up now and deal with that later.

I switched off the main (because I was not going to be the girl who was electrocuted when the electricity came back on unexpectedly) and got to work.  The only glitch in the process was the discovery that the new cloth wiring had two black wires instead of one white and one black.  For the life of me, I couldn't remember how to tell which one was white (ridges or was it lettering?)

So, I spent the next hour learning how to use the internet access on my mobile phone.  Found the answer (ridges) and got to work.

New light. Very light yellow shade works with the stencils






The old Menards light - which actually wasn't bad, just not vintage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!

Kate H. said...

Ooh, yeah, the yellow one is nice (with no offense meant to the late, lamented pink one). Good point about taking advantage of the power outage-- and shutting off the mains regardless.

StuccoHouse said...

Although I'm still sad about the pink one...the yellow one was an ok replacement.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin