Sunday, July 10, 2011

One More Down. Almost.

My day in pictures...



































Sorry for the somewhat out of focus photos. It was hot and I was crabby and in no mood to deal with my finicky camera. Tonight I'll putty the glass. I usually remove all of the old putty, remove the glass, re-bed the glass and then reputty. But I'm worried about breaking the wavy glass in these. They are also stained instead of painted on the other side, so I don't have to strip that side. For the record, this was not the best project to work on in humid 90 degree weather.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

That's very brave to remove the glass when refinishing windows. We've had nothing but problems trying to pull old wavy glass out undamaged. Looks nice!

Karen Anne said...

A big job, though. Lucky you to have wavy glass.

Allison said...

You have much more patience than I...great job! When you're done...give yourself a week off from home improvement. yeah...right.

Becky said...

I dread and procrastinate when it comes to stripping. You manage to do it so quickly. Is your preferred method heat gun? Stripper? Any tips for speed and success? Preferred stippers? I have a job looming that I have got to start tackling...
Thanks!

StuccoHouse said...

Becky - I switch between a heat gun and liquid stripper. I used liquid on the windows because it's a smaller area and the liquid gets into the corners better. I use Zip Strip paste or the Ace Hardware version (the caustic stuff). It's a balance of harsh chemicals vs. getting the lead paint off & out of the way. It may look fast on my blog, but trust me...it takes me forever. That one window took an entire day. That said, I find stripping paint kind of relaxing....and when the windows are done, they look really, really good.

Becky said...

I admire your fortitude [and was hoping for a more magical answer].

StuccoHouse said...

[No one would be happier if there was a more magical answer than me. But it's good old elbow grease.]

Blog Widget by LinkWithin