Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Little Glam

I've been working on my hallway doors on and off for the past couple of weeks.  The doors are a fairly soft pine. Never been painted.  They have an almost black stain.  The doors suffered from benign neglect and the finish had all but disappeared.  The wood itself just looked dry. And of course, there were the paint drips....all those tiny paint drips.

I scraped the paint drips off one by one with a straight edged razor.  I removed the strips of paint near the hinges with steel wool doused in Goof Off.

Once that was done, I took a tiny art brush and filled in gouges & scratches with MinWax stain in Jacobean. Finally, I rubbed in a coat of MinWax Tung Oil Finish.  I was surprised at how good they looked immediately upon the first coat of finish.  I've been slowly building thin layers of the finish in order to get a soft gloss.

I'm not looking for a perfect refinish.  I actually like the look of minor alligatoring. The new finish still shows the imperfections; the imperfections just look prettier. These doors are almost 90 years old, I figure they should show a little history.

Eventually, the wood trim surrounding the doors will be stripped and repainted with a semi-gloss oil. It's a flat acrylic taupe right now. Yuck.

Below you can first see: 1) a shot of the dry wood, 2) the three doors (the one in the center has not been started, the other two are done), 3) two doors (the one on the right is undone, the left done), and 4) finally a shot of a done door.








6 comments:

Amy said...

Beautiful work!

Kate R said...

Looks like all your hard work is really paying off, they look so much better!

Karen Anne said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

It's such a treat to see someone not slathering that horrid poly all over everything. The finished doors are beautiful.

MICHELLE said...

Looks wonderful. I would like to start ours soon, there are many layers of paint over beautiful wood.

Bryan said...

Wow - what a difference! Your doors look exactly like mine (Colonial Revival house built in 1926). I'll have to try your technique - most of my doors look pretty good, but a few have some sun damage. My window sashes and trim aren't painted either, and the finish on these elements will definitely benefit from some work. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin