Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Seeing Spots

There I was relaxing on my couch after a long day when out of the corner of my eye I spotted something on the living room ceiling. At first I thought it was a shadow. I got up and walked over to check.

Water. Two water spots on my plaster ceiling.

It must be leaking at the valley where my front door overhang meets the rest of the roof.

I have 20" of snow on my roof. 4" more on it's way tonight. The area above those spots is inaccessible attic. There is no way on God's green earth I am going to be able to get up there and clear things off until this weekend.

What on earth am I going to do?



5 comments:

Northland Stories said...

The weight of the snow may be just enough to cause a couple tiny leaks, also the usual freeze/thaw with all the sunshine we've had can open up seams as well. Just one of those wonderful old house things! I'd pull the snow off with a snow rake if you have one and just ride it out 'til Spring when you can give it a good inspection. At least you have snow down there! My kiddos would love some more white stuff to play in. :)

AJ said...

Oh, that stinks. Can you buy a snow rake and try to keep it clear?

Ryan said...

I just painted my living room (we've had white walls since we bought the place) and with 4 days of rain which melted all the snow I now see some sort of water leaked in in the far corner of my room and smeared the fresh paint.
I don't even know how to figure out where the leak might be since the corner is also a roof peak! not a valley. I kind of want to repaint and just hope it won't happen again, but I know that's not very responsible.

Di said...

No advice, just wanted to say I'm sorry!!

StuccoHouse said...

Northland - It didn't really dawn on me until I read you comment that the weight for the snow had shifted things. I think you are absolutely right. I have a rake, but my roof is such that it's almost impossible to use it - but you got me thinking of how to get that snow off of there...

AJ - The unusual roof line on my house is all charming...until snow comes.

Ryan - I'll be right there with your repainting. At least mine is not newly painted...that is a drag.

Di - All sympathy welcome. I'm feeling kind of sorry for myself.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin