Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Blogiversary

I started my blog six years ago today on December 29, 2004. I was bored and AOL had just come out with this newfangled thing called AOL Journals. I decided to give it a try. [transferring my AOL Journal posts to Blogger years later would just about be the death of me]

A little trivia. My first working blog name was "1924 Bungalow." I switched the name to StuccoHouse after my first post.

When I started my blog, I had already lived in my house for two years and had just started to get the hang of this thing they call restoration. I had just broken up with a boyfriend and throwing myself into my house restoration seemed more healthy than plotting his untimely demise. I was pretty active on some of the old house website like American Bungalow and Old House Web and had set up an old house website so my family could follow my work. Writing about restoration on a regular basis seemed like it might be kind of fun. I originally didn't even have a digital camera, so I would take photos, develop them, scan them and then upload them. It's a amazing I ever stuck with it.

About that same time, both Petch House and Foxcroft were starting their blogs and a little cyber neighborhood was born.  One day I received an email from a blog called House In Progress and they were starting a house blog ring and wondered if I would be interested in linking my blog.  A number of us had been exchanging ideas about this very topic, so we were very happy when someone actually organized it all.

I'm pretty sure that I would not have survived this long in StuccoHouse had it not been for my blog. I had no clue how far beyond my capabilities this house was when I bought it.  The blog and you, the readers, have been my therapist, teacher, professional advisor, support system, cheerleading team, and creative outlet.  That's an awful lot to ask of one little blog. Amazingly, I can now talk window restoration, paint stripping and sewer replacement with the best of them.

Blogger keeps urging me to switch to one of the new blog designs. I can't bring myself to do it. I've signed on to those green and yellow dots so many times over the years they have become synonymous with StuccoHouse in my mind.

If you had told me back in 2004 that I'd still be working and writing about this house six years later, I would have laughed at you. Today, I wouldn't bat an eye at a prediction that I'll still be working on my house 10 years from now.

Oy.

14 comments:

K said...

Happy anniversary! But please, please, please tell me this whole reno thing doesn't last that long! ;)

Joe M. said...

Congradulations SH & HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Personally you've been a great inspiration to me & I am happy to know that a lot of like-minded peiople think the same. Your blog is one of the best-written and organized of any I have encountered. Here's to MANY MORE!

Josh said...

Congratulations and happy blogiversary, Stuccohouse! I've come to count you for your great local information and for showing things done the right way. Thanks.

Ranty said...

Congratulations!

You have been an inspiration to me. Please keep going.

Karen Anne said...

Happy Anniversary! :-)

I like your blog design just fine. Sometimes people switch into unreadability.

MrBrownThumb said...

Congrats on the Blogiversary. Good thing you took up the house restoration instead of doing something that would've landed you in jail.

:0)

Authentic Haven Brand said...

Congratulations on your blog anniversary and Happy New Year to you too. I'm happy that you have stuck with both your blogging and your restoration on your stucoo house!Your shares are enjoyed and give inspiration to so many! Living here at the ranch our main home was built in 1885 and my home in 1900. They are a labor of love, fitting to the Golden Gate Bridge once all is done it's time to start over, it's a cycle of life!

Kate said...

Congrats & Happy Anniversary from me, too! Also, thank you for still blogging! I was late to the whole blog reading thing & lots of blogs I got hooked on decided to quit blogging.

I doubt I'll ever have any advice to offer when it comes to restoration, but I will help out with coupon info whenever I can. ;) Count me in as one of your cheerleaders.

Greg said...

Happy Blogiversary! It has been a wild ride, hasn't it?

spayurdog said...

I've been with you since the beginning at the AB forum. You truly are an inspiration, SH! What you've accomplished --AMAZING! Thank you for keeping your blog going. Looking forward to progress on your kitchen and exterior painting projects in 2011. Happy New Year, StuccoHouse!

Cristina

Austens High Pressure Cleaning said...

Congratulations on your six years of blogging. I hope to see this blog for many more years to come.

Mike said...

Stucco,

Here's to six more, with at least a few that entail mostly enjoying!

I hadn't read this piece until you commented on Marion, now I understand why my stats spiked so dramatically a while back!

It is something to think back to the early days of sharing information and tips, the mutual support certainly has worked to everyone's benefit.

-Foxcroft

lisa at fix it yourself said...

Congratulations on your blog and all the amazing work you've done on your house. I mentioned you on my blog (www.fixityourself.com) last week and wanted to let you know. Couldn't find a contact other than the comments . . .

Anonymous said...

Ditto on keeping the green and yellow dots. I've been following your blog about the whole time you've been doing it, and those cheery circles mean Stucco House to me, too :) Thanks for sharing your adventures with us, ~Annie

Blog Widget by LinkWithin