Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Simple Hook

It doesn't take a whole lot to get a house restorer excited. I spied these hooks in a case in an antique store I visited on Saturday. The older guy working in the shop could not believe I was so happy to find some old metal hooks. I bought them out of 8 hooks.

They used these hooks throughout my house when it was built. I like how simple they are. They screw into the wall or door and are there to stay. The perfect balance of form and function.

The two hooks you see in the photos with 58 layers of paint on them (only a slight exaggeration) are from my bathroom door. I'll eventually boil them to get the paint off, but having a nice supply of non-painted hooks will let me postpone that task for a while.









I haven't been posting much, but there is activity going on:

* Stripping the paint off the door in my bathroom.
* Continuing to strip paint and shellac in my kitchen (which I will be doing once this post is done).
* Trying to set up an appointment before the end of the month with an electrician to run new wires in my kitchen.
* Have a call in to the carpenter to replace backband on my front windows.
* A soul-sucking, mind-numbing battle with Qwest - who sold me $20 dsl and is now charging me $70 (and will probably result in me being being offline for a month or so).
* Finally was able to match the paint I had been using upstairs (and threw away the lid w/ the color formula) - thanks to the friendly folks at Hirshfields. Lesson learned on that one.
* Parts are being ordered for the Tappan *still* residing in my living room.
* And I bought a new Fall decoration for my front door.

7 comments:

Karen Anne said...

What's back bank?

Probably the biggest mistake I've made in house stuff is not writing down paint information, sigh.

StuccoHouse said...

Oops. That should be "back band." I learned the write down the paint formula lesson this time the hard way. i have half of a very large room painted, so I am hoping the new mix works out ok. One poster gave me the tip to write the paint brand/color on the back of the light switch plate in each room.

Marsha said...

Thanks for the mention. I'm glad our store was able to help you with your match.
As always, we appreciate your business.

Kate R said...

Would love to get my hands on hooks like that. I remember them from my grandparents place.

I've also heard of the trick of writing the paint brand/color on the back of the light switch plate in each room. Will I remember that trick next time I paint a room? Probably not. ;)

Kate R said...

Would you believe I found these types of hooks at Menards? I had no idea they were still available. I might have to pick up a few. They won't have the nice patina yours have though.

StuccoHouse said...

Kate R - Good to know. I had thought about checking Ace because they have old-style things pretty often....but kept forgetting. It's nice to know there is a current source for them....so I don't have to hoard :)

StuccoHouse said...

Marsha - Of course ;) I always go to Hirshfields for my paint. The advice they give me is always spot on.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin