Saturday, February 27, 2010

More Pink

Here's this weekend's project. It's a light I purchased salvage a couple of years ago.  The shade is spectacular. The base, not so much. This is one of those tiny projects that gets started and then put aside when bigger things come up (you've probably seen me post about it before). The plan is to get the remaining paint off of the base and get some type of protective coat on the metal (you can see fine rusting - I've got a few ideas on this).

The little stem piece is a very light pink. I can't decide whether to repaint it or not. A while back I thought I would clean it up and leave it "as is." I generally take the "unless there's a problem, leave well enough alone" approach.....but, I'm wafffling. I did find a tester of paint in the same color. We'll see.

The chain needs to be cleaned & polished. The little glass flute also is pretty dingy.

And, of course, it needs to be rewired. I've never rewired a light before, but this one seems to be easy (unless I'm missing something big). I think there is a light shop across town that has cloth wiring.

The hope is to get this light hanging in my bedroom shortly, so I can sell the wonderful Home Depot light in there now on Craigslist.









5 comments:

Derek said...

I used varathane to protect a nickel plated light that had some rust. It's been fine for the last 5 years. A spray clear coat might be better though, I used a brush on one.

Joe M. said...

I think the final result looks amazing. KuDos to you SH for having the tenacity for follow-thru!

Mike said...

I've used 50/50 mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil to protect both metal parts (old bridge lamp, stair railing supports) and raw wood (insides of the basement windows) and have been pleased with the results. I saw a person at Living History Farms in Des Moines use it on the wagon wheels...

StuccoHouse said...

Derek - Thanks for the tip. I have an idea of what I'll do and will post about it. We'll see how it works.

Joe M. - I should clarify that the last photo posted is of the light when I bought it salvage. It looks really nice in the photo, but when I picked it up it was pretty dirty and that white paint was kind of slobbered on the base. They must have had a special camera lens or something :) Hopefully, my restoration will get the same response out of you!

StuccoHouse said...

Mike - Like minds. I used a 3-in-One oil on it. I also like the look the oil gives to the metal. The BLO/turpentine mix gives a nice look to woods like maple...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin