Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Disclosure Policy

The Federal Trade Commission, obviously having some time on their hands, has decided that the world just may fall apart if they are not able to regulate the review of products by bloggers.  In their infinite wisdom they have declared that a blogger must disclose if they are paid or receive free products for their reviews. Or else.

So, in order to side step a knock on the door by the FTC and the accompanying fine (wouldn't that make for an entertaining post?), I am disclosing this...

As nice as it would be to have packages of free stuff and product review payment checks arriving at the doorstep of StuccoHouse..none of my product reviews (and they are far and few between) are based on free products or payment. I don't read blogs where they constantly are promoting some vendor giveaway with a gushy product review...nor where I know a product review is written to keep that gravy train of free stuff coming.  So, I wouldn't subject my readers to that.

If you read a product review on my blog, it's because I have purchased the product, used the product and genuinely liked (or disliked) the product. You get the good, the bad and the ugly. If I ever actually received a free product (don't hold your breath), you would be the very first to know. End of story.

Now that this important disclosure has been made, perhaps the FTC can move on to stopping the robo-calls I keep getting from America's Best Contacts and Glasses....

10 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

LOL.

Considering the more important things the government could be spending their time on, this whole issue seems kinda silly.

StuccoHouse said...

My thoughts exactly :)

Amy said...

I always thought this was a bizarre thing for the govt. to focus on. That said, I wouldn't mind getting on the free product gravy train. Ha ha!

StuccoHouse said...

Amy - Bizarre, yes.

You need to start a blog that just reviews new products...designer shoes, trendy cosmetics, tasty food and then wait for the packages to arrive :)

Katy said...

Ha! I did an eyeroll at them with you. That is too funny.

Black Dog's Photographer said...

Crazy! Some are just lacking all common sense. And they get paid the BIG bucks! Why worry such over a few little bloggers?

Crystal said...

I'm still so annoyed at this disclosure crap. I'm lucky if I get something for free, plus is it really free?

No...what about the time it took to write the post or even maintain a blog for years in order to get enough exposure to get something for free?

What about the gas money and wear and tear on my car to drive across town to use my free event tickets? What about the time I spent at the event (not making money)?

Anyway, I'm starting to get fired up, so I should just stop typing ;)

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

yeah, if you start randomly receiving free stuff for "review", please send them my way as well. Ha ha.

StuccoHouse said...

Black Dog's Photographer - Because they want to be the boss of us :)

Crystal - I don't think they care that you actually get the freebie or whatever, as long as you disclose compensation when you write a review. It's just one more hoop to make the little guy/gal jump through.

Tiny Oak Park - We both review lots of stuff (your wood storm windows come to mind...my WoodEpox posts also)....Ha, we are just silly enough to do the research, buy the stuff and use it on our house before posting :)

Leah@storybookranch said...

That's funny!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin