Saturday, October 10, 2009

Drying Paint and Fake Storm Windows

Under the gun yesterday, I was able to get my kitchen window exterior trim primed and painted.  As predicted, it snowed last night and today it's cold, cold, cold (30's) and windy.

The kitchen windows don't have storms.  I took off the awful aluminum triple track storms two summers ago.  I have wood screens (salvaged) and the plan was to promptly find wood frame screens.  But, I've been waffling between traditional wood storms and Marvin wood frame combination storms (pricey as my windows are non-standard sizes).

As I look back at my posts, I see I wrote another full-of-angst-because-winter-is-coming-and-I-don't-have-kitchen-storms post last year at about this same time. Oh well.

Last year I survived the winter without kitchen storms. I left in the wood frame screens.  This wasn't very good on the double hung sashes. So, this year I got a little more ambitious.



This afternoon, I first painted the old screen black. The screen wood frames were originally green and the metal screening was still painted green....and a little rusty. It was time to make them black.  (I apologize for the blurry picture - it looked in focus when I took it.)

Then  I put on some of that exterior grade winter sheet plastic on the exterior of the wood frames. I was able to pull it pretty tight, so you can't see it from the street unless you look closely.

I waited as long as I could today to let the paint from yesterday dry as much as possible. When the sun started going down, I put in the fake "storms." I like the pale yellow & gray combination.

We're set for another winter...well, kitchen window-wise at least.

2 comments:

Old House Lover said...

FYI: It's possible that your screens weren't actually painted green and rusty, but they were brass screens and the brass had mostly oxidized to a green patina (like copper does).

StuccoHouse said...

Old House Lover - That would have been nice, but no they are galvanized steel and were painted the same color as the frame. Sadly, it wasn't oxidation. I do like the look of bronze & copper screens.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin