Saturday, August 29, 2009

From The Pages of A Magazine

When I first bought my house, I spent hours looking through magazines trying to get ideas of how I wanted to decorate my house. When I bought my house, I didn't even know it was a bungalow. I only discovered this when I saw a house that looked a lot like mine on the cover of American Bungalow.

When I found pictures I liked, I tore out the pages and put them into a folder.

After a while I started to get a pretty good idea of how I wanted the house to look and what was appropriate for a bungalow, so I stopped saving magazine pages. I haven't looked in the folder since the day I stopped tearing out pages.

Last week I was cleaning out some papers and I ran across the folder I had kept. I pulled out all of the magazine pages & looked through them. Some of them I looked at and thought..."what on earth was I thinking?" But there was one that made me stop and pause.

It was a picture of a vintage stove that I tore out of a magazine whose name I can't find on the page (possibly Storage 2004)....

I had to laugh. Recognize that stove?

It's the exact Tappan Deluxe I have been restoring in my living room. Note the salt & pepper shakers on top.

Somehow, I found this vintage stove picture to give me an idea of how it would look in my kitchen. Then years later the stars aligned (long after I had forgotten about it) to have that exact stove be the one I found on Craigslist for the right price at the right time.

All I need is the speckled bowl & yellow stock pot.

12 comments:

Jenni said...

How cool.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Love the stove and the whole kitchen with all those pretty cakestands.

Karen Anne said...

You can get old time salt and pepper shakers on ebay.

StuccoHouse said...

Jenni - Coincidence, no?

Maryam - The cake stands are pretty, aren't they. I'm kicking around an idea for shelves w/ my tea sets on it...

Karen Anne - Yup, I have them - if you click on the link in this post, you see them.

StuccoHouse said...

And back to Hooked On Houses

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love when things come together like that! What a great stove.

pk said...

Just further proof that the inspiration photos you are typically attracted to DO reflect your true style! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Terry said...

It's a great looking stove. I can imagine the designer, thinking the same thing.

I admire that it's a wonderful example of industrial design for function, manufacturing, and maintenance. I know that stove admires your good taste.

Jason said...

I just found your blog entries about restoring your Tappan stove. I just found what looks like the exact same stove at a flea market for $75. I'm having a local professional come check it over this weekend and help me hook it up...but I was wondering whether you use LP or natural gas. I have natural gas at my house, and the guy at the flea market said there is a small switch inside one of the nuts going to the gas line in the back of the stove. He said all that has to be done to switch between LP and natural gas is to change the direction of the piece inside the nut. Did you have to deal with this by any chance?

Thanks a lot for all of your posts. It's great to see the inside of my stove without having to take it apart!

Oh, one other thing: there are these weird detachable panels that sit flush inside of the doors of my stove. They pop out, and have white porcelain coating on one side and on the other are black with a white pattern/emblem. I can't for the life of me figure out what these are supposed to be for. At first I thought they were covers for the burners, but they are not big enough for that. Any ideas??

Thanks!

StuccoHouse said...

Jason - Nice find! My house has natural gas. The natural gas to LP switch was probably added to your stove - they are sold in hardware stores in a kit. You might go to a hardware store and take a look at the directions on the back of one of those kits (or maybe do a google search)for LP to gas conversion kits.

Ah, those panels that fit into each storage door are "Servi-a-tray" burner covers. They cover the burners (two at a time) & fit in the storage doors when not in use. You are very lucky to have them...most get lost somewhere down the line (mine did).

Best of luck with your new vintage Tappan!

Jason said...

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that the stove at least works with natural gas. I'll let you know what happens.

I see what you mean about the trays. I think the metal grates have to be removed for them to fit over the burners. Mine are in perfect condition, surprisingly. I think they have never been touched.

I spent the evening dissecting the top part of the stove -- the part with the clock and timer. I was able to get all of the gunk out of the clock face and the other display windows, and replace the small lightbulbs. I also fixed the clock--it wasn't running when I got it but I think it just needed a little lube and the gears needed to be shifted around slightly. It's like new now! The only things missing are the two little white knobs that go on the ends of the clock dials. I imagine those a pretty near impossible to find...have you seen them in any of your searches by any chance?

Thanks again!

StuccoHouse said...

Jason - The grates shouldn't have to come off. Maybe your grates are newer?

Send me an email to me at stuccohouse at aol you can guess the rest. I may have a source for you on those knobs.

Very cool you got your clock etc. to work. I found an old toothbrush and a dental pick were very helpful in cleaning out those parts... It's kind of fun, isn't it?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin