Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Stained

Okay, here are a few shots of my new kitchen cabinet with it's base stain. John, the carpenter told me I needed to get the stain & one coat of finish on the piece asap to keep it stable from humidity. This was a good thing for me to hear. Without this pressure, I'd have put it off for who knows how long. Truth be told, I was nervous about staining it. This way, I just had to do it.

The photos look a little blotchy, but that's actually the natural grain of the birch. In real life they aren't quite as pronounced. The countertop is going to remain unstained & finished with food grade oil. It should patina over time.

The color turned out well and virtually matches the original 1924 cabinets.

The next step is a multi-coat application of amber shellac.

I really, really like this cabinet.

You can see a little swatch of peach paint on the plaster next to the pull-out bin. I stripped the plaster of paint around the cabinet space....leaving the paint on the plaster where I thought the cabinet would be located. No use stripping paint that will be hidden, right? Well, I forgot that the cabinet jutted in on the top. So, now I need to come up with some clever way of getting that paint off without hurting the cabinet. I might be able to just scrape it off with a razor blade. We'll see.

Check out the reinstalled baseboard. This is the original birch baseboard I stripped & reshellacked. The old birch wood has patina so there isn't a need for stain. Pretty close match to the cabinet, huh?

Finally, the last photo is of the vintage cabinets on the other side of the kitchen (the ones we are trying to replicate).









4 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the cabinets!

Karen said...

Nice job matching the old with the new. If you didn't point it out I would never be able to spot a difference. I like your choices of color and the wallpaper is neat! I am looking forward to watching it all come together.Especially the stove :)

Laikabear said...

The cabinet is beautiful and the match with the old cabinets is amazing! What type of countertop is the old (red) one?

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks :-)

Laikabear - The red countertop is 1920's linoleum (the real linseed oil & burlap kind)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin