Monday, July 27, 2009

Moving In

I have the new kitchen cabinet shellacked now. Three coats of wiped in amber shellac. I was nervous to shellac a piece with so many details, but it went very smoothly and actually needed no sanding.

I've started to move my dishes in. This is a first, because my vintage cabinets are too shallow to accommodate modern plate sizes. Until now, I've been storing my dishes in the dining room buffet. I even had canning wax on hand to wax the rails of the drawer.

It's been hard to photo the kitchen because it's relatively small (approx 10'x11') and for some odd reason, when I don't use a flash I get a weird amber glow on everything...and when I do use a flash, everything is overly stark. Imagine somewhere in between.

I still need to hunt down vintage latches for the three doors. And the carpenter is going to come back to cut the crown moulding.














12 comments:

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Wow. Looks great.

Kate H. said...

Hey, cute! Lovely job!

I like that little spice rack pulldown. (At least, it looks like a pulldown?)

Karen Anne said...

Great! I like that little green knob.

What's that pale green thing in the left corner in several of the photos?

Garden Monkey said...

Oooooo! I like the green pull too! I like the whole thing :)

Domesticated said...

What a cool spice rack!

Omar said...

Sweet -- I love the green knob. Nice touch. :)

StuccoHouse said...

Welcome HookedonHouses folks!

Why S? said...

It's lovely. I so admire your commitment to this project.

Jamie said...

What a great cabinet! The finish looks gorgeous. I love the added glass knob.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am visiting via Hooked on Houses.

Please stop by and enter my giveaway.

Have a blessed weekend.

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks for the compliments :-)

Kate H. - Yup, it swings down.

Karen Anne - It's a kitchen timer. There is an old blog post about it somewhere...

The green knob was discovered in a box in the basement of my previous 1928 house. I also have some very cool black glass ones (one will surface in my bathroom later).

Katy said...

I am trying to get my neighbor to teach me how to actually build things. I can strip, stain, restore with the best of 'em, but my fear of saws has stunted my ability to make myself some kitchen cabinets. However, my daycare provider has been told that if she rips our her originals, they are mine :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin