Friday, May 22, 2009

Again. Sigh.

Well, that was fun.  Went out to turn off the water sprinkler. Got to the outdoor spigot & realized that I had shut my front door.  Not a problem. Unless you have a door that automatically locks itself and you left your key inside. Heavy sigh.

I managed to snag my neighbor as he left his house for a walk and ask to use his phone.  Now last time I did this I created 1000 copies of my key and gave them to friends and family. 999 of those key people had left town for the long weekend, the remaining one was online via dial-up.

So, I once again called my favorite locksmith.  I've locked myself out of my house 3 times since I've lived here. Not sure exactly what my problem is. You know you are in trouble when they recognize your name.

Well, $85 later I am back in my house. I paid with credit card so at least I get frequent flier miles.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

The first year we lived in our house we both locked ourselves out and the first time I realized it was cheaper for me to replace a pane of glass in the back door (benefit of old house - can replace window glass myself). The second time (less that a month after the first) I pried off the temporary wood stops on the recently replaced glass to carefully remove the glass. Anyway, I bought a mechanical code operated deadbolt from amazon. I'll never be locked out again - unless i have amnesia or am unconscious.

C&C said...

Oh, I have been locked out so many times...at our other house- the one that was too new to break in easily, we kept a key hidden in the barbecue grill out back. Who would look there, right? At our house now, we just push open one of the downstairs windows that has no lock or screen and climb in. A little too easy, especially when we keep 5gal paint buckets in the garage. We might need to rethink this...

MrBrownThumb said...

LOL.

I just noticed that on Twitter I'm followed by an account that sells those rocks you hide your keys in. Maybe, you should get one of those rocks. :0)

StuccoHouse said...

It was a question of breaking wavy glass or calling in the pro. Ugh.

I'm key paranoid now, so it won't happen again for a bit.

Mr. Brown Thumb - haha...not sure why they haven't tracked me down to follow. I'm clearly a target customer ;-) Maybe I should track them down.

Cybèle said...

Just don't forget your key when you go on a trip with those frequent flier points...

Mary, Olive's mommy said...

You can get a lockbox at Home Depot for about $35 and keep a spare in it! I never worry about getting locked out now.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin