Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The New Ceiling

The "tin-type" tile that will be going up in my kitchen.

I'm pretty much of an old house purist. Obvioulsy I'd prefer plaster, but that's not gonna happen.

The alternatives I considered were drywall, tin, tiles.

I'm just not a drywall person.  Tin, while very pretty, is a little overpowering for a small working class bungalow kitchen. Acoustic tiles are so, so ugly.  But, this little decorative tile grew on me. Surprisingly.

I have "sat with" the idea for a few months now, and I think the subtle design will work fine.  If the next owner hates it, they will be able to take it down easily.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve for the install (more on this later). It will be painted a very light vintage green.

There ya have it.

7 comments:

HPH said...

[Moment of silence for ruined plaster] I think you hit upon the perfect solution for the ceiling. With your creativity and tenacity it should fit in perfectly within the same room as the Tappan.

BaltimoreTool said...

I think that ceiling tile will look pretty good. Have you any idea how it will absorb cooking odors?

NV said...

Hey ... that looks familiar! The pattern is very like the panels that are going up in MY kitchen (in silver), and bath (maybe in a glossy black), and in my family room (in a color still to be determined). And I posted on this yesterday, too, because we did our first paint test!!!

Great minds think alike.

Bryan said...

I think it'll look great - once its up and painted, I think the design will be so minimal that it'll be very nice. Just curious, had you considered beaded board? I know that its not "correct" to introduce a material that wasn't present originally, but it might be another option if you're still not quite sold on the tin. Of course, the added weight of the beaded board might be a problem.

Jenni said...

I like it.

Annie said...

Can you share the maker and brand? This would solve quite a few problems at our old house!
Thanks.

StuccoHouse said...

HPH - I try not to be bitter about the plaster, but it creeps in now & again.

Baltimore Tool - I don't think it should be a problem. I'm going to paint it. I also have quite a high ceiling. As much at I hated the previous acoustic tiles, I will say they were grimy, but did not smell of kitchen at all - and they were at least 7 years old.

NV - Cool :-)

Bryan - I briefly considered bead board. I could be wrong, but I suspect it would be a little busy in my smaller kitchen. The other idea I seriously considered was totally new plaster. Take down the old damaged & put up new. Nightmare project, but one day, I still may do it.

Jenni - Thanks!

Annie - Of all things...Armstrong

Blog Widget by LinkWithin