Sunday, March 08, 2009

Flaking Off

I had a spare moment the other day, so I started removing some of the paint on the metal of my salvaged light. This light will eventually end up in my bedroom.

The white paint on the original picture looks all pristine. Trust me, it wasn't. The light's base was painted in place...probably when someone painted the ceiling. You know how pesky it can be to unscrew two screws before painting a ceiling ;-) It was on there goopy & thick. This actually was a good thing because the paint was detaching from the metal en masse and I was able to use a razor to gently lift it off. What you see in this photo is the remaining paint that I will have to strip off.


I intend to let the little "stem" that is painted in pink alone.  Just a good cleaning of the old paint.

Need to figure out how to rewire it next.  I'm ordering cloth covered wire to replace the old stuff.



7 comments:

Sandy said...

It's a beautiful light.

Tazzie said...

Ohhh my goodness, that light fitting is gorgeous, I love it. I can't imagine what people are thinking when they paint things stuck - very short-sighted.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

StuccoHouse said...

Sandy - Thanks :-)

Tazzie - That's only half of the story. The light was destined for the dump. It was salvaged from a 1920's house that was torn down. I don't get it either.

Jenni said...

How pretty. Great Salvage.

Kathy from NJ said...

It is a beautiful fixture. But I must be blind because I can't see the pink you're talking about.

denise said...

that IS a very lovely light! We just soaked paint off what I think is an original fixture, or at least close to original. I don't get it either — it was painted white, but underneath the paint? White porcelain.

StuccoHouse said...

Jenni - Thanks :-)

Kathy - It's on the little "stem" on the right in the picture. It's a very, very pale peachy pink.

Denise - Ony thing I can think of it that they are afraid to electrocute themselves??

Blog Widget by LinkWithin