Sunday, March 22, 2009

Another Detail

Last week, my mom & I stopped by the cabinet maker's shop to drop off the hardware and pick up some scraps of birch to practice finishing.

I've used shellac on many things over the years and have become pretty good at replicating a nice, amber shellac, vintage-look finish.  But, this one has me a little more nervous and I'm going to practice a lot before touching the actual piece.

I had my camera with me so I took a shot of another one of the details I really like about the new cabinet. Inside the cabinet, John has duplicated a neat little feature from the old cabinets.  There is a notched board in each corner of the cabinet. There are two little boards that fit into those notches on either side of the cabinet and the shelf itself sits on top of those little strips of wood. This allows you to adjust the height of the shelves.

4 comments:

Josh said...

That shelf adjustment system is so simple but I've never seen something like that before. Much classier than the ubiquitous metal strips with adjustable clip-in shelf supports.

NV said...

That's going to be one amazing cabinet!

bungalowbliss said...

Ingenious! It's a shame that this design is not used more...I suppose it's another example of excellent craftsmanship gone by the wayside for faster, cheaper mass production.

StuccoHouse said...

I love that detail and couldn't be happier that the carpenter could replicate it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin