Thursday, February 05, 2009

Postcards Home

I have a collection of vintage postcards.  I started collecting them when I lived at my old condo near one of the local lakes.  Now I live on the other side of town near a river and a very cool waterfall.  Both of these parts of the city have been tourist destinations forever, so there are some great postcards to be found.

I get my postcards framed as I have funds and time available.  Eventually, all of the framed postcards will cover a wall going up my stairs.  I recently added a few more to my collection.  All of these new additions date from the very early 1900's.  Sometimes the back of the cards is as entertaining as the front.


Trivia - For any of you that followed the I-35W bridge collapse in Minneapolis back in the summer of 2007, the bridges that appear in these postcards are just south of that bridge.


5 comments:

Joe said...

Have you been able to translate the handwritten postcard? ;-) All I can make out is something about cleaning, canning, and making jelly.

Kathy from NJ said...

Your letter received. Will answer soon. We have been so busy with cleaning and canning and making jelly. Trust you are all well as we are. Your (?) Mrs. C.

Boonton, NJ is my neighboring town! And a fairly populated town, now. I guess in 1912 the postmaster knew everyone.

Marie Reed said...

I have a postcard event called Postcard Friendship Friday! Your wonderful post would fit in perfectly! If you are interested ..head on over and take a peek!Nice to meet you:)

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks for the translation, Kathy :-) Anyone that read my building permit post know that I'm not talented in reading old script.....but I was also able to make out the "canning and making jelly" part which charmed me.

Marie Reed - What a very cool website you have! I love vintage postcards....also have a bunch from Europe that don't fit into my house blog.

NV said...

Vintage post cards, including yours, are awesome! We have a bunch, mostly from grandparents and great-grandparents. A lot of scenic vacation shots, but some are family pictures. LOVE those!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin