Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Painting the Walls

This past weekend, I worked on painting my upstairs walls. I say worked on because I started this a while ago and didn't finish.

The old walls were sponge painted two shades of yellow. This was a clever way to cover an iffy drywall job. So, I've been busy patching nail pop holes, cracks and trying to paint mucked up corners. Yellow paint is also awful to paint over. I'm on my third coat of high quality "one coat" paint. I suspect the drywall was not primed, because the paint just sinks into it.

The new color is a light periwinkle color. I painted and stenciled the two end walls a couple of years ago (white). I'm painting the rest of the walls/ceiling in the new color. I like the look, it's much more mellow than the old paint job. I've done plenty of painting in my lifetime, and I can confidently say that painting a sloped ceiling is by far the most painful.

Sunday evening I ran out of paint. I was going to run over to the paint store for and other gallon, but discovered that in an over optimistic phase a few months ago, I toss the cover with the color formula on it in the trash. For the life of me I can't find the original paint chip either. I know it is here somewhere. I so want to avoid the expense of paying them to computer match the color...especially when it is one of theirs. I'll find the paint chip eventually.

Anyway, here's where we stand now.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

The stencils are beautiful! I've never been brave enough to stencil, but that looks so nice!

Sorry about the paint chip... do they have a paint chip deck you can "check out"?

Joanne said...

I hear you about the yellow! My entire interior was painted in yellow, and I almost never got away with 2 coats!

NV said...

Wow! Very nice.

I, too, religiously use the paint can labels. Once the paint gets low, I write on the lid, remove the label and stick it on a recipe card and put it in my "house" book. I bought this little thing last year and has it come in handy!

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

I love this! Now I'll just have to find a place to do mine.

Mike said...

Sloped ceilings! That was the true beauty of actually working on some new construction upstairs, I was able to use a sprayer to prime the drywall, doing ceiling and walls all at once. Then I was able to roll the ceilings without any thought of mess, since there was no floor or any trim installed. Knowintg I'd be putting up picture rail also allowed me to paint down two inches on the walls and leave a gap that was later covered by rails.

Rich said...

"...high quality "one coat" paint..."

I purchased Benjamin Moore's "one coat" Aura paint for two bedrooms.
Eh.
It took more than one coat due to the "texture" of the plaster walls. So from now on I'm sticking with their regular paint.

Rich

Michele said...

Happy walls!

DesignTies said...

Another tip for keeping track of your paint colours -- paint a dab of paint on the back of a switch plate cover in the room and write down the name and code next to the dab of paint.

Does your paint store really charge to colour match paint?? I get paint colour matched a lot, and it's always been a free service.

Good luck with the rest of your paint job :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

StuccoHouse said...

Stopped by my paint store last weekend, and I guess they don't charge extra to match. I did bring home a few paint chips just to see if I could identify it.

I always use Benjamin Moore paint (Ok, sometimes Devine). I mostly use their paint colors. However, I have a weakness of Martha Stewart colors and will ocassionally sneak into Sears and take a few colors to have mixed into BM paint. So, I couldn't be certain where I got this color.

I'm one of those people that never loses anything. So, this is making me crazy.

It totally sucks to paint over yellow.

NV - I do have one of those books. Had one for my former house too. Did a blog post about it a couple of years ago. You'd think I would have learned, huh?

Mike - Painting upside down really takes it out of you. I was thinking it would be easier because the ceiling is closer to you. I was wrong.

Rich - I haven't tried Aura...I generally use their Regal interior for walls.

Kelly - Thats a good tip about putting the color on the switch plate :-)

For some reason whenever I photo those stencils they look a whole lot more vivid in the photo than they do on the wall. They actually are quite muted.

Northland Stories said...

My girls loooooove the flowers on the walls!!

StuccoHouse said...

Northland - Not sure how old your girls are, but they might have fun helping you stencil their walls. It's pretty easy and there are some cute designs out there (check your local craft stores). Just make sure you get a design that only has a few layers (i.e. colors).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin