Friday, December 19, 2008

Salt and Pepper

Tee hee. Here is my latest purchase from Ebay. I was just notified a few minutes ago.

I've been closely watching these for months now. For a while there were a couple of buyers that desperately wanted a pair and drove up the prices. But I patiently bided my time. Once those folks got their set, interest waned. I was the only one to bid on this pair.

These salt & pepper shakers were premiums given with the purchase of a Tappan stove in the 1940-50s. They are made by McKee and are called "Roman Arch" stove top sets. Of course, they are destined to sit on top of my vintage Tappan Deluxe.

There is another style of Tappan shakers that are called the "Tappan chefs." They look like little Pillsbury Doughboys. My research tells me the chef shakers were a later design.

There are quite a few fakes out on the market of both types, so I'll have to take a closer look when they arrive. But usually the yellow color on the fakes is off.....and this photo looks to be good. We'll see.

6 comments:

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

I never have the guts any more to bid on anything on Ebay! But I love these!

Kathy from NJ said...

Congratulations, they are wonderful. I remember my mother keeping heavy glass salt & pepper shakers on the back of the stove probably in the late 50's. When the kitchen was remodeled the salt & pepper shakers disappeared.

Josh said...

Really cute-- great find!

Stephanie said...

They are adorable! :-)

Anonymous said...

I believe they were designed to reside in the pull out drawer on the right side. If your stove does not have said drawer, but the tracks, I might be able to help you out. I obtained a Tappan, model vk 63-18, recently to use as a stage prop... once the play is over the stove goes away...but you are welcome to the parts as needed.[phone deleted]

StuccoHouse said...

Anonymous - Mine, sadly, does not have the drawers or remnants of them. However, I am VERY interested in parts you may have available. My email is: stuccohouse at aol dot com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin