Monday, November 24, 2008

Fire King

I don't think I've posted about it before, but I have a thing for dishes. It's a little ironic because I never throw dinner parties and eat out a lot. Nevertheless, I have quite a few sets.

The dishes I use for "everyday" are a 1950's set of turquoise Fire King. I pick up pieces as I run into them at antique stores. My arbitrary rules say that I can't buy more than two pieces in one store at a time and each piece can't be over $20. It keeps collecting a challenge.

A couple of times a year I stop into Swank. It's not very far from my house and makes for a nice afternoon break when I need one. They specialize in vintage stuff from the 50's, 60's & 70's. Their back room is essentially my 6th grade bedroom....down to the funky, round, bright yellow Panasonic radio. Every now and then I run across a hard to find piece of my Fire King.

On Saturday I found two of the mixing bowls I need for my set. They were $22, but 15% on sale....bring me into the sub-$20 territory.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the pale blue color. I'd lvoe a nice set of dishes... still eating off of mismatched college stoneware!

HaveFaith said...

I inherited some gold fireking from my MIL. Too bad it won't match yours. I keep trying to decide if I should keep them or pass them on. I guess someone somewhere would like to have them.

Holly Jolly said...

OMG another whimsy dish fascination. I too collect dishes but NEVER throw dinner parties...my house is way small borderline tiny, and I am too shy and nervous to host but I seem obsessed with dishes?! Go figure. I have my limits too....white dishes oh and anything clear on a pedestal.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin