Thursday, October 30, 2008

Plugging the Holes

I've been out of commission with a cold, but I did manage to motivate myself enough to get some WoodEpox on my windows. This wood epoxy went over the areas that I treated with LiquidWood last weekend. I had to take care to work the epoxy deep into the holes that I drilled. It's already pretty cured.

It looks crappy now, and you are worried. Trust me, once sanded and primed you won't even know it's there.

The last photo is just there to show off the amazingly tight & straight grain of this old growth, hard-as-a-rock pine.








4 comments:

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

I am loving this. It looks like a lot of work but it surely makes the job ahead with my window frames a lot less daunting.

StuccoHouse said...

Tiny Oak Park - Are you kidding me....I've seen your work. This would totally be a breeze for you. Although, if you finish all of your windows in a weekend, I don't want to hear about it ;-)

Garden Monkey said...

Wish I could do this... In the 80's someone installed aluminum over my window trim... in the following 20-something years the wood rotted away. If I were to try this I would end up with more putty than pine! The only surviving part of the frames is the sill.
I'm a huge fan of your philosophy or restoration over replacement! I also follow your blog from my Ask the Historian account!
Thanks for the inspiration again!

StuccoHouse said...

Garden Monkey - I've come to the conclusions that aluminum should be classified as a crime against humanity. It does bad things. I'm pretty sure the soft spots you see in these photos are a result of water/snow sitting next to the old aluminum storms. I am very thankful that on my house they did not "alumicide" the window trim.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin