Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Oiling the Screws

No, the Tappan vintage stove restoration has not been abandoned. It's still going on. In my living room.

I ran into two screw that resisted attempts at removal. It has been a few weeks, but I have kept at them. Daily dousing them in oil. I moved from WD40 on to a more serious penetrating oil that stinks to high heaven and gives you true confidence that it is working it's way behind the rust.

After some effort, I was able to remove one of the screws and finally pull out the broiler drawer rails (not sure if that's the technical term, but they are slides that sit on the bottom and hold the drawer in place and allow it to slide out) for cleaning and painting. That done, I can now fully clean out the actual broiler "cave."

Progress may seem slow, but I think I'm actually nearing the beginning of the end of the cleaning part of this project. Maybe.

4 comments:

Muskego Jeff said...

WD40 doesn't work NEARLY as well as PB Blaster for helping to break lose rusted screws.

StuccoHouse said...

Jeff - Thanks for the tip. I ended up using Gunk Liquid Wrench and it's worked ok. I'll watch for PB Blaster next time I'm at the hardware store.

Maria said...

Hi,

I just bought essentially the same stove. I was excited to find your posts on restoring. I've yet to get mine home so I'm not sure how much work I've gotten myself into! Coincidentally, I also live in the twin cities.

Maria

luvoldstuff said...

Hi,
My sister found an old Tappan stove from the 1950s in a building being torn down. The Old Appliance Club advised her to use Kroil to take apart all rusted fittings on the stove. Wow does that ever work super duper! It took her about 8 weeks to refinish her stove. The Old Appliance Club in California rebuilt the valves, thermostat and safety stuff on the stove. It's sooooo pretty and cooks great!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin