Monday, October 13, 2008

My Trusty Heat Gun

In between thunderstorms this past weekend I scraped more paint. I seems like that's all I do lately. I'm pretty sure that if I died right now my gravestone would read "Here lies StuccoHouse. She scraped a lot of paint."

I had planned on sanding down the epoxy repairs I made last weekend and getting that primed and painted. However, once up there on my ladder I discovered the epoxy hadn't set yet. The WoodEpox is kind of finicky. It's been very humid & cool here and that seems to have affected curing time. I've worked with this stuff before, so I know not to get too wigged out about it. I got up there with my heat gun and spent some time drying it out that way. I hope that next weekend, I'll be able to get it painted.

With the epoxy not quite done, I decided to use the heat gun on the double windows on that same side of the house. I posted last week about hunting down storm windows for them. I also hope to get the old paint off and a fresh coat of primer and the new yellow paint on them before winter sets in.

When I'm up on my ladder I come up with what is arguably either 1) my best ideas; or 2) the ideas that catapult me into much bigger projects than I had anticipated. So, this time on the ladder, I decided that it would only be a bit more work to also remove the paint from the exterior side of the sash frames (I had originally planned on only doing the exterior window frame wood). I figure that once I have the new wood storms in place, it would be fairly easy to pull out the sashes and restore them without freezing to death (especially because only the exterior is painted - the interior is stained).

4 hours. I managed to get one side of the double window pretty well free of 80yrs of old paint. What remains should come off with liquid stripper.

5 comments:

Omar said...

That brings back good memories.. I'm hoping to resume my window fixing in the spring, particularly the sashes. Got to get some of that plastic stuff up temporarily in the bedrooms for winter. But I plan to do it right next year by removing the sash and reglazing, stripping, replacing sash cord, etc.

Only thing I haven't figured out is what to put in their place.. I can't leave the windows open even with the screens, the windy season would just make a mess. Nothing says classy like a piece of plywood. :)

Bryan said...

Look at all that beautiful clean wood! It'll look great when you get it painted - just like new. Did the heat gun remove portions of the old glazing compound? Will you have to remove the sash in order reglaze them?

StuccoHouse said...

Omar - "Good" memories??!! Just kidding. It is kind of fun to get rid off all that old paint. I have been going the classy plywood route except on my upstair window where I used the storm window and 3M plastic. That actually worked for the entire winter - although that was upstairs where I have less scurity concerns.

Then again, who am I kidding. I have a stove in parts in the middle of my living room. I think we passes "classy" a long time ago.

Bryan - It does look kind of nice with the thick layers of paint gone :-)The old growth wood is in excellent condition. The paint came off in thick layers - except where you see paint still on the wood and those were later hard-to-remove touch-ups.

The old glazing compound kind of fell out itself with a little help from my scraper. It was very old (possibly original).I'm always a little nervous to use my heat gun around the old glass. I've learned my lesson the hard way by breaking glass w/ the heat. I will be removing the sash. I'm doing full restorations on my windows (new ropes, new putty, cleaned out sash channel, v-bronze weatherproofing, etc). The old glass stays. These should be ok to do as the inside is only stained (no stripping paint there just a refresher).

Domesticated said...

I just got finished with a some windows and doors... Talk about time consuming. I have spent so many hours if not days stripping paint.

Looking good!

StuccoHouse said...

Domesticated - Thanks :-)


It's strikes me that only a person interested in restoring old houses could look at those pictures and see something good :-) For those not seeing an improvement....take a look at the little yellow ice delviery door next to the window. I stripped that and painted it a couple of years ago. Thats what the window trim shoudl look like when I'm done :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin