Monday, September 22, 2008

Trapped

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting out on my front step putting on my tennis shoes and getting ready for yet another afternoon of stripping exterior paint. A woman out walking her dog stopped long enough to let me know she thought the changes I was making to the house looked good.

This tiny comment from a total stranger could not have come at a better time. I am sick to death of stripping paint. I'll go as far to say that I'm kind of sick of restoring an old house altogether. Earlier last week I tried to convince a friend of mine that we should sell our houses and use the proceeds to retire in a third world country. I was only 5% kidding....maybe 3%. Seriously.

Then the horror of it hit me. My friend could sell his house, after replacing those old 1980s fake lace curtains with the hearts in his diningroom (he doesn't read my blog, so I can say that). On the other hand, in it's present half-painted condition, I couldn't even sell my house and escape. I am trapped. Trapped. A random comment from somone who isn't friend/family (and thus obligated) made this fact a little easier to bear. Yes, I am making progress on this house and one day it will probably look ok. Even strangers think so.

So, I guess the moral of this post is that if you see a person out working on restoring their old house and you think it looks good, tell them. That old house owner may be dangerously close to abandoning their blog and fleeing their house and country....even if it looks like they are happily stripping paint.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Oh no. I'm sure the house is eating away at you a bit, but it's looking SO good. You are doing such a great job. Chin up & stay the course!

Lori said...

I'm with you! This monday morning finds me very frustrated with the constant state of construction I live in.....I know it will pass as I make a bit more progress, but its always nice to get some positive feedback......

Jennifer said...

I know what you mean by 'trapped'... we are trapped, too! Well, we only need to fix the brick, reglaze the windows, refloor, put in new moldings, and LANDSCAPE. ONLY.

I had a student waiting on my front porch for his lesson, and a stranger walked by and said "It looks so much better... good job!". Nice to hear, since I've been thinking it looks so Blair Witch since we took the siding off!

Omar said...

Some days I shake my head and wonder if I'll ever be able to pick up some steam again. Life's been hectic lately, but there've been times I wonder "what did I get myself into"? Stay strong -- it's looking so good. :)

Bungalow Monster said...

I feel your pain! Everyone else seems to be out having fun... except us... we're pulling paint slivers out of from under our fingernails & strapping on suffocating respirators! I wish someone would stop by my place and tell me how great it was looking. Alas... I haven't even thought about exterior restoration. However, we will be hosting a Heritage Home Community meeting this weekend in our home. Just maybe - if we're lucky - someone will say something encouraging to us too. We could use it!

Thanks for sharing your moments of misery. It's nice to have company!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin