Monday, September 01, 2008

Broiling

The plan was to get up at the crack of noon today and strip more paint off the exterior of the house. Then it hit 87 degrees and got humid and I wimped out. Standing on a ladder wearing rubber gloves in the heat & sun didn't sound like any fun.

Instead, I figured out how to pull the broiler drawer out of my vintage Tappan and spent the afternoon cleaning it. For those working on their own Tappan Deluxe stoves, there is a little spring on the back, bottom, left hand side of the broiler drawer that releases the drawer if you pull it up.

I cleaned the broiler drawer, removed all the of the screws/hinges and cleaned under them and removed the disgusting insultation for replacement (note to self: order the high temp insulation). I still need to clean out the broiler drawer cavity in the stove itself....although I did a premilinary scraping of the grease with a razor blade - eeew.

Of course, later when I took a bike ride down the back alley and spotted my neighbors out scraping their entire garage & painting, I felt a teensy bit guilty.




3 comments:

Kate H. said...

Yes, but your broiler drawer needed done.

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Wow.

My better half would never let me do that (wisely so, I might add). Something about me blowing up the house when we turned it on.

It's fun to watch your progress on it.

StuccoHouse said...

Kate - So true. I'm feeling guilty about the exterior of my house and how long my neighbors have had to look at peeling paint :-)

Christopher - It actually is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just a lot of detail cleaning. Even the stove workings are surprisingly easy - although I'm going to let a pro handle the calibration of that stuff. I may have to eat my words, but I'm pretty sure you would have to work really hard to blow anything up.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin