Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Vintage Stove Mystery

Work on the Tappan Deluxe has come to a minor slow-down. I was happily plugging away until I ran into a screw holding one of the top side panels in place. It is rusted and refuses to budge. This has happened a few times before and was resolved by WD40. This screw has been marinading in WD40 for a week now and still shows no sign of giving up the fight. I know I can drill into the head of the screw, but I really don't want to do this if I don't have to for a variety of reasons, not the least being it's out-of-the-way location. So, we wait. And hope.

I did make one very cool discovery though.

I'm slowly peeling back the smaller parts and repainting them (if needed) with high temperature stove paint. One day I ran across this little round piece inside the right storage area. Behind the little round piece is the space that holds the insulation for the oven. The piece was held in place by one screw, so I took it off to repaint it (in the photo you can see it with a little ring of rust around it in the top center of the photo).

When I took off the round piece, I saw something white sitting in the oven insulation behind it. It was just kind of shoved in there and wasn't attached in any way, so curiosity got the best of me and I pulled it out.

It was a ceramic socket for a light bulb.

Huh?

Then it dawned on me. I opened the door to the oven and looked inside. In the same spot on the right wall of the oven, there was a little square piece of metal. I pushed on it and it moved. I once again went to the outside of the oven and looked behind the insulation to the outside wall of the oven. The little square piece was placed between the outside wall of the oven & the insulation. I slide it out. It wasn't attached with anything other than the pressure of the insulation.

This stove was set up to have a light in the oven, but it was never installed. The wires to the socket were never connected and are still wrapped neatly around the socket.

So, what do you think the story is?

The guy at the Tappan factory who installed the oven lights was on his coffee break when this one came through.......Or, the light was put in all of the stoves, but only the high end models got it installed.....Or?

6 comments:

Shirley said...

That's such an interesting find! Will you leave it where it was?

Sandy said...

I think they were supposed to install it when they delivered the stove. Maybe the person who owned it went and picked it up instead of having it delivered.

If you would like to stop by my spot, I have something for you!

Greg said...

I'm going to go with your second guess. Either way, very interesting.

Kathy from NJ said...

I think only the high end model got it installed. Just curious, does the manual mention the oven light - maybe to give instructions on how to change the bulb?

Di said...

I'm stuck where you are with my Chambers. I had to grind off the heads of 2 screws on the underside of the chrome top (and 2 heads just snapped off!), and now we can't drill them out. I guess the metal was so hardened by the years of heat that it's pretty much impenetrable. We've tried WD-40, PB Blaster, and lots of cussing. So... Don't grind off the head unless you absoloutely have to!!

StuccoHouse said...

I would love to install it. It would be nice to have a light in the oven...even though the door has a window.

The manual did refer to an oven light, but alas no more info other than the size of the lightbulb to use.

Di - Those screws are a pain. The one thing I have going for me is that they don't have a bolt anchoring them. I'm not sure what I will do if I can't get them out....so, far I've been lucky. I did just discover how to get the oven vent off, so that will keep me busy for a while.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin