Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ready for a Close-Up?

I took a few more photos of the mysterious light socket for my Tappan Deluxe oven. It was wired together with what I thought at first was the wiring intended to install it. But it turns out the bare wire was just holding the two sides together.

If you go to the inside of the oven, the narrow end of "ruffled" light bulb side of the socket fits precisely into that hole. Then, I presume the other end of the socket would fit on the exterior of the oven in the insulation....and hook up to the electrical there.

Here's the thing. The two ends fit together nicely on either side of the oven wall, but there is nothing that holds them together. I thought I'd put one end into the oven and the other outside and they would screw together neatly and hold each other in place. No such luck. How do you think they would have joined them?

I looked through both of my Tappan Owners' Manuals. The older manual makes the statement that stoves with Visualite ovens have light bulbs. I have a Visualite oven, but I believe it is one of the early models. The older manual was written for stoves prior to the Deluxe model and the very first Deluxe models (1948). Both of the manuals instruct you to use a 40 watt oven duty light bulb.

Geez, I wish I could find a vintage Tappan Service Manual.

Who knows...maybe that's why it was never installed in the first place. The Tappan installation guy didn't have a Service Manual and couldn't figure out how to keep the two sides of the socket together and after spending the afternoon trying to make it work...stuffed it into the insulation and called it a day.

6 comments:

ben said...

I posted a reply with a picture of a similar ceramic light socket that I have here: http://prairierosehouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/response-ready-for-close-up.html

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

I'm wondering...Is there anyone you could talk to, even by phone, who is experienced in vintage stove repair? And I wonder if you were to go online, if a stove restoration site, or even a stove parts site might have a way for you to get a hold of a real person that might have your answer. Because it seems like if there are people out there who do this for a living, surely someone has had the same problem?

I am going to keep my eyes out for that service manual for you! :)

Also, if I might just ask one quick question~ how easily do you think I could find working stove range elements and oven elements for a vintage stove? Is it worth the risk of buying a stove that needs them if I love the stove? I am going to go look at this old stove in the morning.

Thanks and have a great evening! :)

StuccoHouse said...

Ben - Holy cow! You solved the mystery of how they go together....and what I am missing. I suppose now I need to hunt down that brass insert. In hindsight I guess I should have figured out that there needed to be something other than ceramic holding in the light bulb.

Jenni - There are a bunch of stove restoration sites out there. I'm trying to work my way through this stuff on my won as far as I can...then gather up the parts I need, any parts I need reconditioned, and any questions I have remaining to ask a pro. No rush at this point.

First I say that I have been focused on gas ranges and that many of the sources for gas stoves don't sell electical parts. So, I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be. I guess my advice would be to look for a some in a common brand. That way if new replacement parts are available your chances would be good they would make them for your stove...and if new parts weren't available, you would have a better chance of finding salvaged parts. You know who you should talk to is Ben over at Prairie Rose (see the commenter above you) - he has a vintage electric stove that he's done repairs to. Good luck looing at the stove tomorrow!

Mike@RuralRenovation said...

This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=102469&section=10183

StuccoHouse said...

Mike - Interesting. Thanks for that link....that certainly looks like an identical match. Correct size & all :-) I wonder if "90C" under the gasket rate refers to temp. (?). Interesting that it is made of unglazed porcelain...I had guessed ceramic.

I did find another source for the socket at a stove restorers site. $10.95.

I have a sneaky suspicion, I might be best off buying a new replacement.

Anonymous said...

Glad you figured out how that part went in now. As you progress through the rehab, you should post pictures so we know it is possible to do this ourselves. The prices for a rehad of a stove are through the moon now and would require a years worth of savings...sigh...oh well. Good luck!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin