Sunday, August 17, 2008

History in the Making

Well, this is turning out to be amazingly easy. I'm embarrassed that I put it off for so long.

Thanks to a comment to a previous post by Anonymous (a huge thank you) and a link to the Bureau of Land Management website, tonight I was able to find a copy of the Land Patent that transferred the ownership of the land where StuccoHouse is built from the federal government to the original owner back in 1856.

They have the option to order a "certified" copy on parchment, suitable for framing for a measly $2.00. I'm thinking kind of cool to have framed and on a wall.

From the BLM website, I was able to find a link to the National Archives and info. on how to order a copy of the Land Entry Case File that actually documents the sale (kind of like a receipt, I guess). I'm hoping at the least it has the price paid per acre.

More as it comes......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! (From your anonymous reader who posted the original tip)

Looking forward to more historical revelations--and opportunities to be of further help--just post a query anytime.

Best wishes from SW Minneapolis

Steffi said...

I love finding historical items like that! Very exciting. :)

Anonymous said...

I will soon be closing on a 1924 bungalow in Saint Paul. Loved stumbling across your blog. Love the info about looking up old permits, etc. I looked up all the previous owners of my former 1918 four square, but never went further - except for a few findings during renos. Look forward to reading through your blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin