Monday, August 11, 2008

Half-Timbers

Spent most of the day Sunday stripping paint off of the horizontal half-timber on the front of my house. The wood is covered by that old recipe that mixed paint with Portland cement and was sprayed on houses in one thick, orange peel textured coat. All of this was uncovered last summer when I took down the aluminum trim.

I curse the company that invented that concoction. It is the 1920's version of vinyl siding. The "paint" is impervious to a heat gun and the only way to remove it is paint stripper and a lot of scraping. If you have read my blog for any length of time, you have heard me whine about it before.

Repeat after me: "It has to look worse before it can get better, it has to look worse before it can get better....." The trim will eventually be painted the same color as the window boards below it (which looks a whole lot more vivid online than it does in real life).

2 comments:

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you! You made me chuckle with the whole "it has to look worse before it looks better"- it sounds oh-so familiar! (We have a fixer-upper, too!)

I love visiting your blog! Have a wonderful evening! :)

Omar said...

Wow never heard of mixing paint with cement -- that sounds like fun.. Don't work too hard. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin