Thursday, August 07, 2008

Conquering Technology

Last night I sat in front of the tv and watched a show where dog owners danced with their dogs. This was followed up by The Baby Borrowers: Lessons Learned. I watched them in their entirety. Why? I was stalling.

Minneapolis is wireless and as part of that deal anyone living in the city can also subscribe to wireless service. My neighborhood was one of the first to go "live" and I subscribed almost immediately. Then I pretty much did nothing.

While I love the tech toys, I hate the tech toys' set-up. I used my laptop on the wireless network periodically, but am ashamed to say kept my dial-up for my primary service. My laptop connection was iffy most of the time and I wrote this off to my house being stucco with metal lathe and surrounded by big, old trees (listed as probably problem causers on the wireless website).

Well at 10pm last night, I finally called the USI Wireless 24/7 customer service line. Bless the heart of the guy that answered my call. He first gave me the address of my nearest wireless "pod" (my word, not theirs), so I knew where to point my modem. Then he started to walk me through set-up for my laptop. All of a sudden a thousand lights went off in my head.....because my laptop has a wireless card, my computer had been accessing the wireless service through that.....and not through the modem. Duh. I confirmed this with my customer service guy (again, bless his heart for understanding my non-techie terminology) and then went off to disable my wireless card. Whala - 100% signal. The term "wireless" as it turns out, is confusing.

So, while I had a brief glimmer of understanding of how the "signal" flowed.....I decided to set up my wireless router. It went relatively smoothly, but it did take me a while to figure out that I needed to turn my wireless card back on once the router was up & running. A little cheer went up at Stuccohouse when the first wireless connection was made via router.

The router under my belt, I moved on to installing the wireless adaptor into my desktop. Again, sucess. I was in bed and fast asleep by 2:30 am....with a mild headache that I attributed to all of the new wireless waves bouncing though my house.

I spent a lot of time staring at these last night (the last one is the crooked ceiling drywall job done by the PO):






2 comments:

Greg said...

I'm a computer programmer now for my real job (the one where I make money, not the one where I spend it on the house) and I hate hardware things. I just want to turn it on and have it work. Even though you're not a techi, you're not alone with the mystery.

StuccoHouse said...

Computers are a little like my accounting classes. I put off doing the homework until the last minute, hating reading the instructions, took forever to do it.....but when it all worked out and balanced, I thought it was kind of fun.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin