Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Manifold Exposed

Just a quick post on the progress of restoring my vintage Tappan Deluxe. I have the top of the stove off and have sanded the light rust off the underside of the top. This will be painted shortly. The weather has been humid here, so I haven't been able to paint.



With the top off of the stove, you can see the old oven insulation. I removed two layers of the old insulation which I will replace with new. You can now see the gas manifold pipe that runs from the back of the stove to the front burners on both sides of the stove. It's in excellent condition (thankfully).



The two metal pieces on either side of the insulation space need to be removed, cleaned & painted. They are probably the most rusted pieces of the stove, but they still aren't too bad.



Once that is done, I need to decide how much of the oven I want to expose. There really isn't a need as the insulation on the sides of the stove appears to be in good condition, and because this area was closed off it really doesn't need to be scoured or treated in any way. Then again, all new insulation around the stove would be nice. And just knowing that I cleaned every inch of the stove would make me feel good.

The little voice inside of my head is still debating....just take it all apart....or leave well enough alone.

4 comments:

Di said...

On my Chambers, I opted to leave well-enough alone on most of the insulation. I'll replace the oven door insulation, but the rest of it was in decent shape. Painting is one of the most rewarding parts of the restoration. It's so nice to take a rusted, ugly part and make it look new again :)

StuccoHouse said...

Di - First a big, fat "thank you" for posting photos of your restoration of your Chambers stove. If I had not seen that post, it would have never dawned on me that restoring a stove might not be as hard as I thought.

I love how the painted pieces look when they are done. So, spiffy.

I'm also leaning towards the "leave well enough alone" approach to insulation. I will replace the stuff that was right below the stove top. I guess I'll wait to see how easy it would be to replace the side insulation when I remove the two pieces at the top.

jennakl said...

Hi Stuccohouse - I came across your blog doing research for a Deluxe Tappan stove I recently bought that looks similar to yours. I've been trying to nail down the year of mine with little luck. Here are some pics of it, any idea about the age? http://austin.craigslist.org/hsh/1242347928.html
This was very much an impulse buy but reading your blog gives me hope that, if needed, I can restore the insulation. The exterior is in great condition. Once I have it safely in my garage, I'll be asking for some advice about restoration! Thanks for the great blog!

StuccoHouse said...

Jennkl - Open the right door and take a look at the serial number imprinted on the top the metal panel. Also, does your stove have a standing pilot (i.e. say "CP" on it anywhere)? Both of those should help figure out what year it is... VERY cute stove!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin