Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ugh!

I have a problem eave. It is where the fascia/bargeboard on the front of my house meets the front door overhang. The low pitch overhang currently is done in EPDM membrane. Prior to that it was done in shingles.

When I had the aluminum pulled down from the eaves last summer, it exposed a nasty little area that still has shingles with a hole that may or may not go directly into my attic. I spent the winter and Spring in denial about it with a plastic sheet duct taped over it.

It's time to take care of it, but I so did not want to have to deal with it myself. Especially in my current 9-finger situation. So, I called the same handyman I used to install my salvaged storm door (not the one of Google fame). I supply the materials & direction. He does the work. We set up a day. He gave me a 30 minute window of time in which he'd arrive.

I went out and bought the materials. The plan is to fix any problems with the sheathing and then use Eternbond to make the actual repair. This is a temporary fix intended to last a few years until that part of the roof needs to be redone.

So, Tues. I was home waiting for him to show up. 20 minutes after the time he was supposed to show up, he called and told me he couldn't come, blah, blah, blah. Needed to reschedule. I was not thrilled because I had rearranged my entire day in order to be there....and rain was expected the rest of the week.....but I agreed.

Again, today I was up at the crack of dawn, schedule rearranged, sitting at home waiting for him. 30 minutes after he was supposed to be there, the phone rings. It is him. He can leave now and be there in 20 minutes.

Now, this is the same guy who when I first called told me that business was extremely slow. Really. I wonder why.

Something in me snapped. I told him not to bother to come. I'd do the project myself. I'm sure I'll curse this decision later when I'm up there on the ladder.

On the bright side.....I was finally able to call and get a tree guy to come out and give me a bid on cutting down some massive dead limbs on the red oak in my back yard. He showed up on time ;-)

6 comments:

Joe said...

Contractors only get one chance with me. I always call them the day before, or first thing in the morning the day-of to confirm. If they're not there within 15 minutes of their scheduled time they get another call. Anyone who flakes out is not given another chance.

Greg said...

This kind of thing just drives me nuts!

Jennifer said...

Lucky you on the tree trimmers... it took us about 7 to actually get someone to show up! We had thousands in tree trimming to do, too... their loss.

Yzzawizzle said...

Good for you. Stick to you guns.

Allison said...

I agree. He should have been there on time.

StuccoHouse said...

I'm generally pretty laid back, but there comes a point where you realize that dealing with the contractor is taking more time than if you just did the work yourself and then I get pissy pretty quick. I have had pretty back luck with any work related to my roof.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin