Monday, June 30, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Vintage Stove Restoration

Here are a few more random stove restoration shots. I was finally able to get the stove top off - there was one rusted screw that took a lot of WD40.

Yes, this whole thing is taking place in my living room and my front yard.

I've started to paint some of the smaller parts. I'm only painting them if there are chips or rust. I've been using Rustoleum stove paint for anything that will be near any heat (thanks to the folks at Life In The Praire Box for that tip) and Rustoleum black appliance paint for parts that won't. I have to say, the parts look pretty good when they are done.

The stuff that looks like rust can be a little deceiving. There is rust, but a lot of that is really crud that washes away in hot water and one of those Clorox Magic Erasers (which work really well, but don't last long).

I have been taking a ton of photos, drawing pictures and keeping parts in baggies, but there is still a small hysterical voice in my head that is telling me I will never remember how to get this thing back together. One interesting little tidbit - almost all of the screws used on the stove are the same.

I included a photo of the back of the thermostat. The stove does not have a "safety" meaning that the stove top burners have a standing pilot, but the oven is lit by a match. I have been researching, and from what I read a stove safety can be added without too much drama.






3 comments:

John said...

I don't know why, but I've never given much thought to refurbishing appliances like your stove. It's looking freaking awesome! It's definately given me something to think about.

VickeryKnits said...

I can't wait to see how this works--keep posting!--and I can't wait to start working on mine!

Jennifer said...

Wow! I hope you can fit all the pieces back together, because I can't wait to see how it looks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin