Friday, June 27, 2008

Being Sociable

Last night was our block's ice cream social. We get together twice during the summer - once for the ice cream social and again for a pot luck. The first few years I lived in my house, I had to force myself to go. I didn't know anyone and it was a little awkward.

By now I know most of the people and have a good time. I always mean to stay a half an hour or so and end up closing the place down. I really lucked out with my neighbors. They are friendly and entertaining. The turnout is always pretty high, although I've noticed that some of the newer neighbors don't show.

We exchange notes about the 'hood (and I assure them I really do have plans to paint the rest of my trim). We catch up on gossip (we think the guy that rented the house on the corner died - and there are new renters). We eat some ice cream.

I also think there is some general payoff. We all are familiar with the cars & the people who live on our block. We know who is generally home during the day and who is around in the evening. We know the kids on the block. We have each other's phone numbers & I don't think anyone would hesitate to call if something was wrong. When we had two "iffy" houses on the block (no longer the case), everyone knew "the situation." And most days you have someone waving to you as you leave your house.

2 comments:

Allison said...

There's a lot to be said for such a neighborhood. Ours is friendly, but most people keep to themselves, so it's hard to know who is who.

StuccoHouse said...

I really did luck out in this neighborhood.

My last neighborhood had one very obnoxious guy that set the tone for eveyone. It was pretty bad.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin