Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pity. Party.

Well, the day started out well enough. My dad had asked me if I wanted to go on the weekly tour given by the MN DOT of the new bridge being constructed to replace the bridge that collapsed last year. He picked me up and we drove downtown to join about 200 other people for the tour. More on this in my next post.

They had been predicting rain all week, so I was pretty happy when the sun was still shining when I got home after the tour. The hedges surrounding my back yard were very over grown when I moved in. Right after I moved in, one of my tall friends cut them down for me to a more manageable height. I've been trying to maintain them at 5' to 6'. I'm 5'6".

I pulled out my battery operated hedge trimmer and started trimming off all of the new growth. It has a safety button that you need to keep pushed in while the blade is in motion. I had gloves on but one of my hands started to get really hot, so I took one of the gloves off.

You know where this is headed.

On the very last swipe of the blade on the very last bush.....the blade hit my finger. Blood gushed. I went in to wash the wound and hope against hope that all it needed was a band-aid.

The next three hours I spent in the urgent care room. Ever the diligent blogger, I took a photo while I was waiting on one of the rooms. But frankly it is a little too gory for even me to look at, so I'll spare you. I have a nice splice down the center of my left index finger through the nail and most of the skin came off like a little lid. The good news is that an x-ray showed I didn't break the bone, I am entirely up-to-date on my tetanus and my nail will grow back (I am a girl; this is important). The bad news is that on Monday I get to call a hand surgeon...I have stiches through my fingernail.....and my federal tax rebate will not be going to new storm windows.

To add insult to injury, when I got home I had to haul that fricken hedge trimmer into the garage (it was supposed to storm) and clean up my own blood drips through the house.

Right now it's hailing outside on my car. I don't care. (I'm pretty sure its the pain killers.) I've had a good cry (again the pain killers) and now I'm going to bed. At least the damn hedges are trimmed. I hope they are happy.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry (but so glad you are OK except for your hand).
I hope things go well with the hand surgeon and that it heals up fast!

I took pictures of my hand when I sliced it open a few months ago, but decided against posting for the same gristly reason...

Greg said...

Ouch! I hope it heals well...and I would have liked to seen the gory shot, as well.

Sandy said...

So sorry about your hand (and the new direction your stimulus check is going to take). I hope it heals quickly and all goes well with the hand surgeon.

Why is it the men always want to see the gore?

Robin said...

Man- I'm so sorry. That really sucks. I had a similar power tool injury a few weeks ago- nothing as bad as your experience though. I hope it heals soon and you start to feel better.

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks for the well wishes. When I was sitting there waiting for the Doc I got to thinking how stupid I was for letting this happen. Of course, I've read of both of your injuries on your blogs....and still I had to go try it for myself.

SmilingJudy said...

Sorry Stucco! But at least you got the hedges all trimmed before it happened! :)

When I was ripping steel siding off the house, I sliced my leg open within the first hour. Had to spend a couple hours in the emergency room when I could've been working, dammit!

Hope you heal up well.

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

That's terrible. I am always paranoid about such things and have been lucky thus far. I hope you are not in too much pain and that you heal quickly!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin