Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Striped Awnings

The condo I lived in before I bought this house was built in 1928. In my storage room in the basement, I discovered the vintage, canvas awnings that once fit on the outside of the building.

They were green and white striped and matched the green frame of the old wood window screens (which were long gone by the time I lived there). There was a also an old canvas shade for my front storm door. The storm door frame had these neat little metal hooks where the shade could be latched down on windy days.

Last summer I replaced the aluminum storm door on StuccoHouse with a restored, vintage, wood storm door. I have been missing having a canvas shade that allows you to keep the main door open, but prevents the world from being able to see into your house. Right now there is a set of metal mini blinds mounted on the interior of the main front door. I want to remove those and put a shade on the storm door.

So, this afternoon I drove over to a shade store that I've driven by a bajillion times before. Established in 1921, I figured they would know what I wanted.

I brought my little colors-of-my-house board and looked through their canvas awning swatches. I was able to find a vintage striped canvas with pale yellow and a pale gold that almost matches my paint exactly.

In 3-4 weeks I should have a striped, canvas shade with a scalloped edge (to mirror the overhang above the front steps) for my front storm door.

11 comments:

Shy said...

Can't wait to see the final result!

Any idea where to get hardware for a wooden storm door? My doorknob is beyond repair and I can't find one to fit the skinny wooden door.

Jennifer said...

I love those stripey awnings!

Ryan said...

shy-
My neighborhood hardware store has the storm door latch set for $29 but you can also buy them on restoration geared sites online like vandykes.

StuccoHouse said...

I'm also anxious to see the finished shade.

Shy - I bought my storm door hardware from Kilian Hardware. It is Ives brand & is on sale right now. Here is the link: Kilian Hardware

If you hit the "Storm Door" label at the bottom of this post, you will see more posts on the storm door hardware. I wanted oil rubbed bronze & I shopped around for it. The hardware for my (upcoming) back storm door is from Rejuvenation (I found it on their clearance shelves on a trip to Portland - but they also sell them online).

Shy said...

Thanks for sources guys, I appreciate it! I'm also looking for the oil rubbed bronze.

Although, as I just found out I need to replace my entire bathroom floor due to an evil stealthy leak, now I'm shopping for tile...

Cranky Grandma said...

How exciting! I've been trying to get my hubby to agree to awnings for our house. I can't wait to show him photos of your finished product. He keeps envisioning the horrible metal ones from the 50s (?).

The Litter Box House said...

That looks great! I love how much of an effort you go through to get just what you want. AND that you do it through small businesses. That's awesome.

Andrea

Sandy said...

I love the colors!

StuccoHouse said...

Cranky Gradma - It's funny, since you posted this comment I have been watching for houses that have the canvas awnings. I've seen maybe three or four. I know my house has some type of awning on the second floor windows....and I'm guessing a lot of the bungalows in my neighborhood did. The woman who worked in the shade store I went to said almost all of the houses had them at one time.

My old condo had them on all windows...and matching shades on the doors. It looked like they put them up in the summer and stored them in the winter.

I suppose when they wore out, people just didn't replace them. The fabric these days is so much more durable though. I think you need to work on hubby...it would be cute! Maybe start with the door shade...then work to an awning over a side door.....he'll never know what hit him :-)

StuccoHouse said...

Litter Box - I think the part I like most about restoring...is the hunt. Looking for the exact thing I want. It was pre-blog, but one day I'll have to write about the wallpaper I bought (not yet installed) for my kitchen. That one took me to England.

Anonymous said...

I know this is an older blog entry, but I love the awning material. I also shop at Royal Awning and Sahde. They are the best.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin