Thursday, April 10, 2008

Busted

People tell me I have an odd sense of humor. I think I have a normal sense of humor, it's just that odd things happen to me and they are funny. Here's an example:

Last summer I removed the aluminum soffits & trim from my house. I did most of the work myself, but hired a handyman to finish up the highest points on the sides of my house. It was the one time where I've hired someone and haven't been able to be home to observe the work. Well, the bill came and he charged me double what I expected and about three times more hours than it would have taken me to do the work myself. Bitter lesson learned as I wrote out his check.

So, fast forward to tonight. I was watching the evening news and they did a segment on Google and how they are invading every one's privacy by posting street level photos of every one's house online in their Maps search. I got bored, so I looked up my address to see what Google had on StuccoHouse.

There was a photo of my house.....my handyman's truck.....an unused ladder propped against the house....and my handyman lounging legs crossed in my side yard.

You can only laugh.

13 comments:

Greg said...

WOW! I can more than laugh. That is too, too much. You really MUST email that to him.

Josh said...

Ha! That's one of the best "busted by streetview" stories I've heard. You've got to post a screencap.

Regardless of whether we see it, you should keep that photo on file to share with future contractors as a warning!

Nate said...

Ha! It's so funny when things work out like that.

Yzzawizzle said...

Ha! Next time you hire a contractor, show him the picture and then tell him you have your house on remote surveillance with a web cam so you can check up on how the work's progressing...It's Orwellian and I like it.

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

That is funny. Maybe it was lunchtime ha ha ha. Our google streetview shows the neighbor's contractor's van in front of our house. I didn't look to see if he was lounging in the side yard.

fred@opc said...

That is absolutely hilarious. Now I'm wondering what Google knows about us?

Green Fairy said...

Too funny! The Google street view of our house shows the previous resident's children--she was freaked out when I told her I saw them online. It is a little creepy; you can zoom in pretty darn close.

(A friend said if you zoom in close enough on her house, you can see the diet coke she had sitting on her kitchen table.)

M'elle said...

Wow. That is crazy!
When (or if) we have others working on the foursquare, my husband and I take turns popping in unexpectedly during the day. I always bring my "ferocious" dog with me!

StuccoHouse said...

In all fairness, he could have been taking a lunch break.

Then again, he wasn't supposed to be there long enough to need a lunch break.

Oh well.

It reminded me of my neighbor at my old house. She hired a company to do landscaping in her backyard. My kitchen windows looked out over her backyard. I watched/listened to those landscapers sit around most of the day for a week - hope she didn't pay them by the hour.

Yea, the Google street view is pretty creepy. Not sure what they are thinking on that one. I'd freak if I saw kids....or even a Coke can in my window.

If you click on the "inappropriate view" tab in the Maps section you can request that they remove a picture due to violation of privacy.

Jennifer said...

Too funny! I'd definitely email it to him!

Dulcie said...

oh my god, that is awesome! ha ha.

Holly said...

It is both funny and sad. Personally? I'd send him the photo and ask him to recheck the hours he was actually working......

purejuice said...

now THAT'S funny.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin