Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Little Shady

With the exception of one bedroom, every window in my house at one time had a pull shade. I can tell this because the old pull shade hardware is still there - albeit, covered in layers of paint.

When I was trying to decide what to use on two of my upstairs windows, I finally came to the conclusion that it would be kind of cool to use vintage style roller shades.

Now when I was growing up, you were able to find a wide variety of roller shades in just about any store. They came in a palette of colors and different styles. I'm not sure exectly when roller shades fell out of favor, but I was shocked when I started looking for shades and couldn't find them. I thought it was going to be a quick trip to the local store. I was mistaken.

I did find a few manufacturers that sold them online, but the "new" version of rollershades operate by a cord on the side of the shade that you use to lower & raise the shade. If I bought this style, I wasn't going to be able to use my original hardware.

Someone finally mentioned to me that they thought they had seen roller shades for sale at JC Penney. I'm not a big Penneys shopper, so it took me a while to drag myself across town to see what they had. I was pretty happy when I eyed a full display of roller shades.

The saleswoman started to show me my options. I had thought that I would be able to spend about $40, per window. Of course, the salesperson shows you the "basic" shade.....and then starts showing you the upgrades. And I am a sucker for the upgrades.

Turns out my $40 budget did not cover the semi-darkening, fabric, scalloped edge, trimmed, reverse roll....shade of my dreams. Let's just say we spent a little bit more than anticipated on the shades (including a 40% sale and an additional 10% discount). Sometimes a girl just needs to go over her budget.

It took my custom shades a couple of weeks to arrive. The salesperson, bless her heart, even called the manufacturer to make sure I would be able to use my vintage hardware with the new shades.

I have to say, in the end I think the pull down shades were just the right thing for those windows.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad still has 8 of the mentioned roller shades still hanging in the windows. They are no where near as charming and elegant as your upgrades. Score!

- HPH

Greg said...

Very nice.

Hmmmm, my Mom is retired from Pennys and gets a life-long 20% discount.

Nate said...

My house has the same shade hardware... with the same layers of paint. I don't have the ambition to touch them.

Omar said...

Wow, the shades look great! I was thinking of putting something similar in the office (sleeping porch), but the windows are so huge it ain't gonna be cheap..

Kristin said...

Thanks for the tip! We have old roller shade hardware also (and some tattered shades on some windows) and I'd love to restore them to their former usefulness.

Fred@OPC said...

We've had an endless number of problems with the cheapo-versions we bought from Lowes... could have something to do with my less than perfect hanging job... and the fact that they're in our 3 year olds' room. We found out one day that they like to watch the shade flap around and around the coil.

Jennifer said...

Very cool.. I was going to recommend JC Penny's as I started reading... it turns out you figured it out before I got to the end!

They look great.

M'elle said...

They do look good - I love roller shades until they suprise me by suddenly snapping up to the top!
A question about cleaning the hardware - I have boiled mine in just straight water. What do you use?

Jocelyn said...

Loks really nice. We got shades from JCPenney for our 2nd floor bedrooms. They are pretty good quality.

Yours look really nice and appropriate for the house.

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks all for the kind words. I am really happy with them.

Greg - You could really score a deal! I have to say the customer services I received at Penneys was the best I have seen on a long while.

Nate - Getting the paint of the hardware is really easy. I did a post about it a few weeks back.

Fred - Yes, I've just about given myself a heart attack a few times now. Seems I had the srongs a little too tightly wound :-)

M'elle - I put the baking soda that is on i'ts last leg from keeping my fridgge fresh in with the water. Some people use a little dish soap....others the Arm & Hammer baking soda cleaner. I'm not totally convinced you need anything other than water.

Allison said...

I too was amazed at the selection in shades. You made a good choice.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin