Monday, March 24, 2008

House Funk

I'm in a bit of a house funk. After being cooped up inside for most of the winter, I am sick to death of everything inside. No indoor projects hold any interest for me lately. Only disdain.

We received 4" more inches of "heart attack" snow over the past few days, leaving the ground soaking wet and piles of heavy snow (bless the heart of my kind, anonymous neighbor that got up at the crack of dawn on Sat. and snowplowed the sidewalk for the entire block. You have earned your place in the great beyond. I did not have it in me to even look at my shovel).

It was particularly cruel last week when we reached temps of 50 degrees. I'm not sure why we Minnesotans fall for it every year, but we thought for sure Spring had arrived.

All I can do at this point is contemplate my list of outdoor Spring projects. This is a mixed bag. I'm excited to work on some Spring projects, but dreading others because of cost (tree trimming) or sheer magnitude (scraping and painting the rest of my exterior wood trim).

Yesterday, I asked my Dad if he would help me make some repairs to the sidewalk/foundation/door threshold on the side of my house when the snow finally melts. I have some funky stuff happening on that side of my house that I will write about in depth when we start working on it. So, that's going to be one of the first things I tackle.

I also need to strip my salvaged medicine cabinet as soon as possible. All future work in my bathroom hinges on this one task.

And, yes, I know. I need to finish my little series on window restoration - by writing about how I reinstall the windows. It's coming. Really.

5 comments:

Di said...

I hear ya on the funkiness. Me too. Except I have more inside projects than out that are on our "Critical to Finish" list. :( At least open windows are coming soon!

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

I have been looking at the daffodil buds coming up in the yard daily and then I do a complete survey of all the yard areas that "need help". I am secretly yearning to work outside - but not until I finish stripping my closet door. Wait, there's no reason I can't do that outside!

Ranty said...

Don't feel bad. My storm windows are falling off, the roof leaks, (hello spring rain) and I have exterior inspections orders coming due 6/1.

In other words, I am screwed - and all I really want to do is eat ice cream and browse seed catalogs... Doh!

Sandy said...

I love the picture of that happy little daffodil!

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to leave a quick comment on buying new glass to replace broken sashes. Before you do that, trundle down to your nearest (gasp) vinyl window installer. I know, I am one. Many of us love old windows too and hate to throw out all that beautiful wavy glass but can only provide a home for so much of it. It goes to the dump, ask they will probably give it too you, I do.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin